AuthorTopic: Hi, I recorded a video of myself pixelling.  (Read 3440 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Hi, I recorded a video of myself pixelling.

on: January 16, 2018, 02:20:15 am
Hello! I very rarely do personal pixel work nowadays so I thought the once that I got the chance I might as well share it with the kind Pixelation folk.

The final artwork is this:

I trust everyone's familiar with the William Blake original, but if not:

This piece of artwork comes with a very fascinating story you can read up on the Wiki here. Also, it's worth mentioning that aside from the spiritual confluence that I feel towards Blake, he's also a far-back in time ally to us pixel artists as his work is mostly in miniature. This picture is actually TINY, I've seen in in real life in the Tate in London.

Video link here

The video is in the timelapse style. Actual session was 2 and a half hours long, so if you set the speed to about .25 you're getting a fairly realistic (though low framerate) representation of the actual decision making in real time. Or just watch it at fast speed and chill out to the nice music and think 'huh, art is very easy to make, it just magically appears!'. Ultimately what I'd like to do is not so much timelapse but real-time videos where I talk on top and explain my thought process and the cluster solutions I come up with. More like a lecture, less like a 'look at this conjuration' kind of thing. Ideally I'd like to do some critique and editing on art people send in. Would there be interest in that?

Not looking for critique because I don't think I'm going to touch up on it. But I thought someone might enjoy watching it as a cluster study, perhaps. There's very few single pixels, as per usual with my approach to pixel art. I started out in a 4,4,4 bits per channel color space to mimic the SNES specs that ultimately inspired this but towards the end I broke from the restriction and did very minor color correction in an 8,8,8 space.

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Re: Hi, I recorded a video of myself pixelling.

Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 07:13:40 am
Hi Helm :) Damn, that end result is nice, and the video was very interesting to watch. Love it!
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 07:34:39 am
Thanks for sharing! I was completely unaware of the painting and it's story.

Your process looks very logical, with just the right amount of search. It's interesting seeing the coiner of cluster theory work- and seeing the evolution of the palette throughout the image's creation makes me aware of my own lack of experimentation- perhaps in small part due to my software of choice ( photoshop).

Would you mind if I shared this on the pixelation twitter?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 01:09:38 pm
Thank you, Crow, Ryumaru. Would I mind? It's an honour.

Re: clusters, this is why eventually I want to do real-time video where I talk it out because when it's not sped up magic, one could hopefully follow the actual work of pushing little shapes around and having to change where they touch OTHER shapes so everything can live, you know, the Go element of this theory.