AuthorTopic: Woman in straw hat  (Read 2244 times)

Offline Portokal

• View Profile

Woman in straw hat

on: July 02, 2017, 07:01:27 am

10 colors so far. Hat and shirt, and bg are just roughly pencilled in. My reference is a picture of someone I know— I'd post it, but I'd want to get their permission first. This is the first pixel art I've drawn of this sort, so any and all C+C are appreciated!

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Woman in straw hat

Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 07:33:59 am
This is a VERY rare crit with pixel work, but I think there's too much contrast! Looks like she has blobs of sunscreen all over rubbery skin! Poke the colors some, try to find a better skin pallete.

Also, another rare criticism, you might want to poke at your clusters some more so they're not as grouped up. It looks excellent at lower Rez but as soon as you blow it up you see how polygonal / abstract painterly she looks
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Portokal

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 11:03:34 pm
Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I'm struggling some with the skin palette, but hopefully this is an improvement:

I'm happy to hear you say that about the clusters— I've been trying to get used to thinking more in terms of clusters and less in terms of individual pixels, so I guess if I'm going overboard that counts as a success  :D . I tried poking at them a bit and ended up redoing pretty much the entire neck, I think for the better.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 03:01:49 am
Looking better! That big splotch of highlight under her chin still looks weird, though, haha.
Also, keep moving that saturation around. Skin is usually pretty matte, unless you've been sweating or bathing in oil you won't usually look that shiny except for specific skin types!

Offline Portokal

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 04:36:54 pm

OK, I've gotten the skin color to a point where I'm satisfied with it, and started some super rough shading on the shirt. I evidently have no idea how fabric works.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 11:17:37 pm
As it is she looks like she's wearing a plastic poncho, haha. Fabric's rough, study some textures on google.
Here's some silk examples I found:

Notable things I found while I was learning (and probably need to re-learn in all honesty) was to think of folds in terms of pinch points. Figure out where the fabric catches on the form, and have the folds blossom from there.