AuthorTopic: Posing Practice  (Read 12658 times)

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Posing Practice

on: February 15, 2017, 05:07:59 am

DesignDoll again.  Went for a relaxed sort of pose, but the feet kind went weird at some point.  I think I'm on the right path for shading and I hope to maybe add an extra shade for colors, but I thought this was a good place to start.

Offline rocifier

• View Profile

Re: Posing Practice

Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 07:41:53 am
Hmm I think the sillhouhette is alright, but the shading and form need some work. For example, the arm is awkwardly infront of the left leg, and the lighting on the crotch area looks undefined. I'm having difficulty determining where the light is coming from as it's inconsistent around the figure.

Other than that, the legs are too long and a bit bulky for the thin figure.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 11:10:47 pm

Re-positioned the arm, slimmed down his legs, and reworked the shading on the pants.  I added an extra shade, plus tried out dithering as a test. 

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 10:37:57 pm

I'm a bit happier with the first set, but I was going for more smaller scale, dramatic stuff.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 09:32:19 pm

I would like to thank Yamazaki from KOF for the first one, and the phrase, "Power up!" for the second.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 03:18:16 am by Rosier »

Offline Bak

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 12:16:02 pm
The main issue is inconsistent limb length as well as other proportions, i would suggest practice simpler poses with classic proportions.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 07:44:16 pm
The main issue is inconsistent limb length as well as other proportions, i would suggest practice simpler poses with classic proportions.

Which areas/characters specifically?  A lot of these were based on DesignDoll models, which I would think had consistent sizes.

I'm also working on this smaller one.  I want to make sure the shades/sizes are right, because I intend to animate it.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 08:08:45 pm
This latest one has short-looking arms.

When you use DesignDoll, are you using it to understand the structure, or to copy from? If the latter, then it's quite easy to accidentally create inconsistent or incorrect proportions because you might render parts of the body in way that make them look like they're at a different angle than the ref. Poorly done foreshortening can lead to wonky limbs, and DesignDoll, being 3D software, will almost always have some foreshortening somewhere that you might not be noticing and therefore not depicting clearly.
In addition to that, with pixel art you don't have room for the subtler details that make things look right. The difference between an arm being too long or too short could be a single pixel, where exactly you put the sleeve can determine whether the arm looks foreshortened or not, and so on.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 08:14:49 pm by eishiya »

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 08:55:59 pm
This latest one has short-looking arms.

When you use DesignDoll, are you using it to understand the structure, or to copy from? If the latter, then it's quite easy to accidentally create inconsistent or incorrect proportions because you might render parts of the body in way that make them look like they're at a different angle than the ref. Poorly done foreshortening can lead to wonky limbs, and DesignDoll, being 3D software, will almost always have some foreshortening somewhere that you might not be noticing and therefore not depicting clearly.
In addition to that, with pixel art you don't have room for the subtler details that make things look right. The difference between an arm being too long or too short could be a single pixel, where exactly you put the sleeve can determine whether the arm looks foreshortened or not, and so on.

A mix of both.  The latest one is actually based heavily on Vanessa from KOF, but she has a lot bigger sprite and has more detail, though that creates a similar problem. 

I think no matter what I do, I won't be able to get any sort of detailed shading/perspective on such small sprites, at least with my current skill. I'm going to scrap this small one and try working on an animation with this size and character:

Tell me what is wrong with this one here, and I'll focus on it.  I want improved shading, maybe an extra shade for each color, and if any of the limbs are wrong, then I'll see about making the animation with a new starting pose.  Whatever you guys think needs massive improvement, including a completely new shading style if necessary.

Offline Bak

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 09:01:14 am
shes about to fall
That other dude also does anime pose but comes more as he is humping stuff
i told you to get handle of basic positioning and perspective because now it looks like cargo cult imitation of fighting game/anime sprites, and im more than sure people who drew them studied anatomy and drew from live sources first.