AuthorTopic: New here and to pixel art.  (Read 3155 times)

Offline obscenenarwhal

• View Profile

New here and to pixel art.

on: January 25, 2017, 08:08:02 am
Hello everybody! I'm new on here so I figure I'll give myself some background, I've wanted to make games ever since I was little..well...pre-teen anyway. I decided I wanted to be a game developer when I was naive young age of 12, I'm two months away from my 23rd birthday and after years of debating whether or not that's really what I wanted to do I decided to go for it. So I'm currently enrolled in college for game design, however of what I've learned in my two semesters is that having no real artistic inclination really holds me back.

Now while I can barely draw I've wanted to get into pixel art, I really want to make 2D games (preferably of the RPG variety, since I grew playing mostly Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest) but I'm not sure how to get better at making pixel art.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Re: New here and to pixel art.

Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 11:00:10 am
Congratulations on taking the plunge :D I hope you enjoy your course.

First you're going to want to learn to draw haha. If your college offers any basic drawing courses definitely get yourself enrolled. You're really going to need to practice your fundamental drawing skills to get anywhere with pixel art so try to focus there.

As for getting started with pixel art specifically just give it a shot. Grab some images of games you like the look of and try to copy the style, post here with what you come up with and people will steer you in the right direction. Have a browse through the Rules & Resources board to find lots of links to tutorials and information regarding terminology, software etc.

Offline obscenenarwhal

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 04:28:15 pm
Awesome I'll check them out. My college does have a game art drawing class, but it's only for the autumn semester so  I won't be able to take it until it starts in August.

Offline Achrileg

• Achrileg
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 04:49:47 pm
Hey, and welcome!

Yeah, the best advice is that don't forget that pixel-art isn't a separate entity to other schools of art. Just learning pixel-art won't get you too far, you have to know the fundamentals. Perspective, forms, color theory, knowing how to simplify shapes, and so on.

Pixel-art is stylization of the fundamentals.

Offline Ozego

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 03:48:36 am
Welcome!
Here is the book that taught me how to draw:
http://www.alexhays.com/loomis/Andrew%20Loomis%20-%20Fun%20WIth%20a%20Pencil.pdf

Here is the tutorial that first taught me how to do pixel art:
http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/tutorials/tuts/tsugumo/

Both of these are old, I am sure there are youtubes and modern stuff that can help you more.

But theory doesn't work without practice. You'll want to get some milage, fast, because the first 10,000 pieces you make will suck. They do for everyone. But that doesn't mean it can't be fun! Here's some advice: Create something every day, but don't spend more than than a day on one thing at first. In the beginning, stick to what you really really like and focus on having fun. Look at other people's art for inspiration but never for comparison. Only compare your own art to your older work. Show people your progress.

Offline obscenenarwhal

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 05:46:13 am
Welcome!
Here is the book that taught me how to draw:
http://www.alexhays.com/loomis/Andrew%20Loomis%20-%20Fun%20WIth%20a%20Pencil.pdf

Here is the tutorial that first taught me how to do pixel art:
http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/tutorials/tuts/tsugumo/

Both of these are old, I am sure there are youtubes and modern stuff that can help you more.

But theory doesn't work without practice. You'll want to get some milage, fast, because the first 10,000 pieces you make will suck. They do for everyone. But that doesn't mean it can't be fun! Here's some advice: Create something every day, but don't spend more than than a day on one thing at first. In the beginning, stick to what you really really like and focus on having fun. Look at other people's art for inspiration but never for comparison. Only compare your own art to your older work. Show people your progress.

Just because they're old doesn't mean they aren't just as helpful.

I appreciate everyone's advice, sounds like learning to draw will will be essential to do pixel art. I'll start practicing, later when I feel my art isn't....well....COMPLETELY awful I'll upload some things for critique and advice. Geralt said it best in the Witcher 3 "never train alone, it only imbeds your errors".