AuthorTopic: Looking for Pixel Art Paint Programs for Windows 98  (Read 11961 times)

Offline Adiemus

• View Profile

Looking for Pixel Art Paint Programs for Windows 98

on: January 17, 2017, 01:31:35 am
I was wondering if there are any paint programs for drawing pixel art that run on Windows 98 (yes this is a very odd question considering it's 2017 and I'm asking about Windows 98). I downloaded Character Marker 1999 and while it is better than MS Paint, it has some shortcomings.

- Thanks  ::)
- Adiemus :)

Offline Kasumi

• View Profile

Re: Looking for Pixel Art Paint Programs for Windows 98

Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 03:44:22 am
Try various versions of Aseprite. A very recent version worked on Windows XP (Post 98, but still.)

The latest version is non free, but various older builds are available here: https://www.aseprite.org/older-versions/

If you click "More files" you can find a bunch of older versions, at least some of which are very likely to be windows 98 compatible. (But whether such old versions will compete with character maker, I don't know.)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 04:29:39 am by Kasumi »
I make actual NES games. Thus, I'm the unofficial forum dealer of too much information about the NES

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/9270.htm
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 05:58:18 am
There are two different forks of GraFX2

If this one works, then I recommend it highly:
http://pulkomandy.tk/projects/GrafX2
i

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 06:23:49 am
There are two different forks of GraFX2
Oh? *searches* The other one is SDL2 fork.. Does that have any practical advantages, or only theoretical advantages so far?
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 02:07:48 pm
I developed Grafx2 for the longest time on my Windows 98 computer, with an AGP x1 videocard. If v2.4.2035 doesn't start, it means I made a mistake when I compiled it, just tell me and I'll rebuild it.

The SDL2 version doesn't work. The advantage is hardware acceleration and UI no longer depends on image palette. The downside is that I'm not sure it will be completed ever, SDL2 is so buggy compared to SDL1... :'(

Edit: Just checked, Grafx2 2.4 works fine.
Other freeware painting programs which I can confirm work on win98 :
Pixelformer, rather for high-color stuff, but very easy to use and I love how you can draw/edit the alpha channel directly
EvilPixie, very cute
PaintToolSai
Ultimate Paint
EasyToon
PaintTool SAI
Pencil 0.4.4 (not pixel art, animation)
GraphicsGale (demo I think, 1.93.19)
Let me know if you need to track specific versions.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 11:02:45 pm by yrizoud »

Offline Piotr

• View Profile
    • google.pl

Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 10:17:10 am
There's nothing wrong with MS Paint.

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 11:08:04 am
... apart from having no indexed color mode, no keyboard shortcuts, and the windows 98 version can't save GIF without converting the image to websafe palette.

Offline Piotr

• View Profile
    • google.pl

Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 08:11:21 pm
... apart from having no indexed color mode, no keyboard shortcuts, and the windows 98 version can't save GIF without converting the image to websafe palette.
For indexed, replace the colors in palette. For keyboard shortcuts, use ctrl+c and ctrl+v. PNG is favored, GIF is deprecated and Paint just has to convert to 256 color palette because of GIF limitations.

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 08:15:49 pm
For indexed, replace the colors in palette. For keyboard shortcuts, use ctrl+c and ctrl+v. PNG is favored, GIF is deprecated and Paint just has to convert to 256 color palette because of GIF limitations.

At this point, you really seem more like a troll than anything else. If you decide to keep this up, don't be surprised about strikes or a ban.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Piotr

• View Profile
    • google.pl

Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 06:46:56 am

At this point, you really seem more like a troll than anything else. If you decide to keep this up, don't be surprised about strikes or a ban.
Actually, comparing what I actually am to what you said, you could as well also be the same. How is listing the solutions to each problem, troll?