AuthorTopic: An uncertain introduction... (comments welcome)  (Read 10108 times)

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Re: An uncertain introduction... (comments welcome)

Reply #10 on: October 15, 2006, 04:36:38 pm
Rule 3: Post only pixel art.

Now this is a bit of a controversial subject, but it hopefully can be cleared out at least so we can go on with our business here: Pixel Art, is art where there's specific attention paid to the fine manipulation of picture elements. It deals with the informative quality of specific, single pixels. If the art you're about to post has not been pixel-pushed on that level, don't bother. Automatic AA, soft brushes, filters, smudge tools, all are indicative of index-painting, or at least dirty-tooling, but do not always mean your art will not benefit from pixel-level critique. If you've made something using some of these tools and then you're able to reign the piece in by optimizing the palette into using the best possible amount of colors, went in and pushed single pixels until everything is right, then it's probable we'll be able to talk about your art and how it can be made better. Always be clear of how you made things, only post concept art when it's relative to a pixel-art piece you've made and never never try to decieve us. As above, workstages and process animations are optional, but always welcome.

I have no objection to using color redux in games or what-not.  "Pixel Art, is art where there's specific attention paid to the fine manipulation of picture elements. It deals with the informative quality of specific, single pixels. If the art you're about to post has not been pixel-pushed on that level, don't bother."  These haven't been all done by hand and therefore do not qualify as pixel-art. 

And what would be wrong with that? If he can make art with his computer that others can't do by hand, then that's more power to him, no?
No.  thats more power to his computer.  computers are not people. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 04:38:18 pm by Feron »

Offline eobet

• View Profile
    • eobet disajn

Reply #11 on: October 15, 2006, 07:12:44 pm
Ok, again, I'm sorry.

I left the last image because I wanted to see what the reactions to pixel-art-by-vectors would be, but I realize now that this is the wrong forum for it. I did not understand how purist this art was. But should I repost the image in the general forum is someone wants to continue discussing it, or is it pointless, since anything but hand placed pixels seem to be off-limits? (Is even a Wacom tablet allowed?)

(If anyone wants to look again, the image can be found here.)

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: October 15, 2006, 07:14:42 pm
Its not about being pure, I think the problem was that it simply wasnt pixel art. We're not a general art forum, the entire point is to post pixel art only in the pixel art section.
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: October 15, 2006, 07:16:53 pm
maybe people could put a tag in the topic title saying" game art" or something, that would include color reduction in pieces, then people could give critique on how it fits with the other elements in the piece?

Offline eobet

• View Profile
    • eobet disajn

Reply #14 on: October 15, 2006, 07:25:27 pm
Its not about being pure, I think the problem was that it simply wasnt pixel art. We're not a general art forum, the entire point is to post pixel art only in the pixel art section.

That is what I misunderstood. I thought that as our tools since the 80s had evolved into Wacom tablets and vector based programs, so had the pixel art followed, kind of... as long as the result looked like pixel art, it wouldn't matter how it was constructed. But I guess pixel art is not like, say, impressionism, but more like... pointillism, perhaps?

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: October 15, 2006, 11:15:17 pm
Something like that, yeh. "Real" "pixel art" is when each pixel is placed by hand (but not necessarily one by one) with intent to affect the end result.

Kinda.

Offline Takai Soyokaze

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: October 15, 2006, 11:20:03 pm
Not sure if this has been said, but the images are jpegs. Big, big no no.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #17 on: October 16, 2006, 12:28:46 am
You people dissapoint me...

Pixel art is about expression yourself in a medium where the size of the smallest grain matters, no more, no less.

I create my pixel art with 3D programs, generators, filters, photoshop, the whole smack. I always make sure the options allow me to keep full control, and that's it.

Pixel art is not the tool you use
Pixel art is not the ammount of time you put into it
Pixel art is not an art style
Pixel art is not defined by colour count or size
Pixel art is not the individual placement of pixels

-> Pixel art is about working with the disabilities that come with the size of a pixel

Individual pixels are visible, so a single pixel can mess up the look of something, creating the need for an almost pixel perfect execution. Since the size of a pixel is technology based, pixel hand goes hand in hand with other restrictions such as colour restrictions, size restrictions and other things, but they are just intimately connected to pixel art. Isometric magazine art drops all the other restrictions and just uses the visibility of the smallest part as a stylistic bonus for example. That's why you won't find too much AA in those pieces. Once a pixel becomes invisible due to the medium, as is the case with higher resolutions or CG art, where the pixel becomes invisible because it's surrounded by too many others, it loses the right to call itself pixel art. A correct definition for pixel art would be:

The art of working with or around the visible size of a pixel

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #18 on: October 16, 2006, 12:57:24 am
wrong.

Pixel art = creating art pixel by pixel

the rest falls under the category of CG. If you want to still disagree, give a potential employer your spiel the next time you're being interviewed for a pixel art job.
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #19 on: October 16, 2006, 01:36:30 am
If you're going to bring jobs into the argument, when it comes down to it and you've got deadlines looming, any process that results in quality art is perfectly valid. A sane employer isn't going to hire or fire you over your ability to stay within arbitrary constraints like no auto-AA or automatic color reduction. It's all about the end product, if it looks good, it really doesn't matter how you did it.

Anyway, how about less useless arguing about exactly what pixel-art is, and more pixeling?

Eobet, I would give you some critiques, but I guess the stuff you've still got up is old and it'd be useless to you. I really liked what I saw of your vector stuff, you should show it all off here.