AuthorTopic: [WIP] Characters!  (Read 2169 times)

Offline Xer0bot

• View Profile

[WIP] Characters!

on: June 30, 2016, 07:12:01 am
Hi fellow pixel artists!

So a while back I had a pixel artist create some art for me, I'd like to learn from the art style and improve on it, so that I can create attire for the characters and all! so I'll be using the art as templates.

This is for a top down game, here's a sample..

The thing is I feel as though the character looks as though he's moving towards me (out of the screen) and into the screen.. instead of up and down.. I only like it because more of the player can be seen.. like the characters face and so on.

Here's how the characters look.

Also any guidance on direction i can go with these ? before I go ahead and remake them.

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Re: [WIP] Characters!

Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 02:31:00 pm
Hi fellow pixel artists!
The thing is I feel as though the character looks as though he's moving towards me (out of the screen) and into the screen.. instead of up and down.. I only like it because more of the player can be seen.. like the characters face and so on.

Also any guidance on direction i can go with these ? before I go ahead and remake them.
Hi! The issue with them not appearing top/down is a projection problem. It becomes most evident in that we can see the underside of his front foot in the front view which we should not be able to see from top/down.

To fix that, draw an easy to do side view, rotate it according to your desired camera angle and do a proper construction/projection onto the picture plane. Check this info graphic, etc: Parallel Projection

(I noticed in your thread history that you made a few threads in which you barely if ever continued to work on the things you posted after receiving hints. You might want to watch out for that and make sure to put in more effort and work on your stuff or people might just stop helping you eventually as it might seem to be a waste of their time.)

Offline Xer0bot

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 06:20:35 am
Sorry that I gave someone the impression that I'm hardly trying.

So anyway, I've started redoing this guy, I'll post the progress in a bit.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 06:57:43 am by Xer0bot »

Offline Xer0bot

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 08:55:01 am
Can someone create a template for me to work with, just the outline ?

I was thinking, shift his face a bit down, show a bit more of the top of his head, bit more of the top of the shoulders.. but then when it comes to torso arms and legs I cant figure it out. it seems too much infront, and then the character feels shorter and basically still platformer material just worse.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 09:33:14 am by Xer0bot »

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 12:42:24 pm
Can someone create a template for me to work with, just the outline ?

I was thinking, shift his face a bit down, show a bit more of the top of his head, bit more of the top of the shoulders.. but then when it comes to torso arms and legs I cant figure it out. it seems too much infront, and then the character feels shorter and basically still platformer material just worse.

Hmm ::)

Someone would gladly help you, but you should post your attempt first! You seem to have an idea of what to change, so try! Keep trying! And when it seems like you've hit your wall, then post here, and I'm sure someone will help you with your perspective issues.