AuthorTopic: [C+C][WIP] Monkey Time  (Read 2172 times)

Offline fily

• View Profile

[C+C][WIP] Monkey Time

on: June 29, 2016, 11:41:34 am
Hi everyone, I'm in need of your excellent advice.

I've been working on this on and off and feel like I may have become blind to some of the usual basic flaws I fall prey to (colours, lighting, form, cohesion) so thought I'd pop it up on here to nip any problems while I finish it up.

Any advice or design suggestions would be great or just a thumbs up to get it finished.

Offline burritoEclair

• View Profile

Re: [C+C][WIP] Monkey Time

Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 12:53:37 pm
I think everything in this shows you have a solid understanding of pixelart and drawing. There are a few things that can get touch ups, some parts have banding. And that vine on the right looks mixed res almost.

I think the biggest and best change you can make is to readjust the contrast in your layers. Foreground should probably have the most contrast with atmospheric perspective getting strong for further layers.

Your zeboar has pretty good contrast, but your monkey needs those dark shades to get darker. Maybe.

Offline nessx007

• medleystudio
    • medleystudio
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 01:53:48 pm
Looks good overall, I think you're definitely about set to move forward! My only comments would be mere nitpicky things, but hey, I guess since you asked:

Something about the background layers coloring/contrast seems slightly off compared to foreground. I know it's standard practice to adjust the brightness/saturation/detailing of backgrounds to keep the foreground elements readable, but my overall impression is there's too heavy of a shift to pink-ish tinted hues. And maybe that's intentional because of sunset-lighting or something but I still feel like it could use more of an orange/yellow vibe instead. And maybe the sky dithering could have less color values to match the number of shading hues in other parts of your environment.

Anyway, nothing major, you've definitely got something nice here. Which platform will this be on? Be sure to share again when it's out!
Hope this little blurb finds you well! We've got a fun little series documenting our progress on our SNES puzzle throwback game here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NomLd6Wcbro
Or check out our game art on tumblr:
http://medleystudio.tumblr.com

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35725.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 02:31:46 pm
Having greens in the background is difficult, since human eyes are more sensitive towards green than the other two primary colors, red and blue, making it clash with the foreground. For readability reasons I would desaturate all the greens in the background.

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 10:28:11 am

I agree with Beast about the background greens. Need to tone it down or everything is unreadable.
Had some issues with readibility of the zebra and cheese rock in the middle there. Nothing too serious though.

I did find your foreground tree misplace for some reason. The shading seemed off and made it not fit the rest of the scene.
The hut also has issues: no outline, no variation in contrast beyond two colours on the lit side and that top tuft is certainly not supposed to be facing upwards and receiving that much light. It's also clearly unpolished.

That all aside though it's wonderful and cute and I left a few quirky things in that I thought really compliment your style.
* may contain misinformation