AuthorTopic: [CC] Medusa and her hair  (Read 2289 times)

Offline Vertigo

• View Profile

[CC] Medusa and her hair

on: April 17, 2016, 05:13:39 pm
Hello!
I was making some greek mythology characters and monsters in kind of minimalistic design. I wanted to make it looking like drawings from vases, so this is effect:

Why there are 3 medusas? Because I don't know which hair is the best. Everyone has different opinion, so I would like to know Yours. Minotaur is for reference. CC is welcome.  :)

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Re: [CC] Medusa and her hair

Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 12:46:02 am
I would encourage you to investigate references a little more regarding ancient greek style. Silhouettes seem a lot more simplified than your current executions for the snakes.

Try consolidating the snakes into a more cohesive form... the bodys merging into a mass and only the heads really splitting off.

Offline Cherno

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 10:07:27 am
Apotheon is a good reference for greek vase style art turned into game graphics, and there's yet another game on steam that also uses it, although I can't remember it's name.

Offline Skaz

• View Profile
    • My DeviantArt

Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 01:04:14 pm
Silhouettes are vaguely defined, I would encourage you to try to make them more precise. The human especially looks like some separate shapes displayed one next to the other.

See how the silhouettes are very thin and well defined? You should try to approach that, every pixel counts at low resolution :)

As far as the Medusa is concerned, I'd say the second convey well the spirit, and is less gimmicky than the third. But i'd try with fewer, more defined snakes to convey the feeling, here it really looks like hair, and I don't think it's what you want.

Keep up!