AuthorTopic: Yet another fox thread  (Read 2048 times)

Offline odedrt9

• View Profile

Yet another fox thread

on: February 28, 2016, 08:24:33 pm
Hey guys, so I saw there's a trend on making foxes these days :P so I figured 'heck, I should make one too'.

So here's my attempt ;D :

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Re: Yet another fox thread

Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 08:30:20 pm
Looks really good! Looks like you could add some fur to the side but it's good as it is as well.

Haha I kinda like seeing so many fox pictures :D
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 08:40:07 pm
Pusty the original fox guy. ;D
Glad to see you critiquing people around the forums, Pustles. You should come to the slack sometime and hang out with the guys. You'd be a welcome addition. ^^

Quick fox edit.
His torso was too long, his ears needed more triangle, his paw was too long, and the face was a little weird.
Also miner tweaks to lighting.

Heads up: I didn't use a reference, so I could just be wrong. :P
* may contain misinformation

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 09:13:53 pm
@Ambivorous  "Pustles" never have been called like that haha
And to write something fitting: Well I guessed the torso I so long because the fox is running. ('cause it would stretch) if that wasn't intented then you are right ofcourse.
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 05:01:21 am
Hey Oded, here are some things to think about.

A good test of recognizabiliy: if the coat was a uniform gray, would I still know it was a fox? My first thought was this sprite has no characteristics that distinguish it as a fox aside from the coloration. So I set about getting to that point.

This skull would be significantly deformed if it were present in a live fox; the orbital (eye socket) is past halfway, even farther back than you would see on an herbivore. But foxes are predators, so their eyes are at the front of their skull. It also needed to be compressed vertically, it just had this cap shape to it that you wouldn't find in a sleek carnivore.

The raised tail and large chest cavity are very doglike. Foxes are not like dogs: even at full sprints, their tails stay below parallel. They have limp, flowy tails. Your limbs are also too short, if you look at a fox skeleton you'll see the limbs are almost as long as their spines, which is pretty crazy. Also, you had a poorly utilized color slot used only once under the belly. I used it for more flexibility between the grays.

So at this point if we apply my original test, would I still know this was a fox if the coat was a uniform gray? Probably. At this point, once I've understood what makes a fox a fox, I could then emphasize certain colors/features as desired.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 11:50:05 am
the edits are nice but i think the style of the original is also pleasing.
i like how clean it looks and i can imagine it making a good game sprite with smooth flowing animation.