AuthorTopic: [WIP] How Can I Create A Walk-Cycle For My Art?  (Read 1892 times)

Offline Ovicior

• View Profile

[WIP] How Can I Create A Walk-Cycle For My Art?

on: December 28, 2015, 07:43:32 pm
Hello,
I'm a programmer working on a game. I have made a basic character and idle animation, but cannot figure out how to create a walk cycle. I'm very new to this. I'm grateful for any help you can offer me.
Idle:

Still:

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] How Can I Create A Walk-Cycle For My Art?

Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 08:13:46 pm
before moving on to animating it, I think your character needs a lot of work.  Can you tell us what it is?  I'm having trouble reading it.  Readability is extremely important in pixels. 

Another thing I noticed is it kinda looks like you drew it with different pixel resolutions.  Is this intentional?  I think 99% o the time, mixing pixel sizes in the same art turns out bad.

Also, I hope you have fun with improving your skills :)  pixel art is hard but a special kind of rewarding

Offline tpendle

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 09:32:03 pm
Yep, what Friend said. If you need to visualize, I took your sprite, scaled it down and made a few adjustments:

What program are you using? There was another programmer on here recently who made the same mistakes about mixing pixel resolutions, maybe that's it? If you want to get GIMP or PS to work well for pixel art, google "Set up GIMP/PS for pixel art" there are some handy tutorials there to help you speed up your workflow and avoid technical mistakes :) Or there are programs designed specifically for pixel art, but I haven't tried any of them yet.

If/when you're ready to animate, google "key frames" for whatever action you want to animate. Key frames are the frames you need to include to really portray the action well. Just by following those I easily doubled the quality of my animations, so there's something to consider :)

Offline Ovicior

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 10:53:36 pm
Yep, what Friend said. If you need to visualize, I took your sprite, scaled it down and made a few adjustments:

What program are you using? There was another programmer on here recently who made the same mistakes about mixing pixel resolutions, maybe that's it? If you want to get GIMP or PS to work well for pixel art, google "Set up GIMP/PS for pixel art" there are some handy tutorials there to help you speed up your workflow and avoid technical mistakes :) Or there are programs designed specifically for pixel art, but I haven't tried any of them yet.

If/when you're ready to animate, google "key frames" for whatever action you want to animate. Key frames are the frames you need to include to really portray the action well. Just by following those I easily doubled the quality of my animations, so there's something to consider :)
Thanks for the help :)
I'm actually using Aseprite. I understand keyframes, but I'll try to understand them more.