AuthorTopic: [WIP] Ryuko Matoi - Looking for feedback  (Read 4045 times)

Offline mero

• View Profile

[WIP] Ryuko Matoi - Looking for feedback

on: March 30, 2015, 11:48:39 pm

Hi, I am a new face on these forums. I've been working on learning animation and simple styles. This is Ryuko Matoi from Kill La Kill. I'd appreciate any animation tips, critique, or suggestions.

References:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/ab560c8be82f214256ba348bac1adac1/tumblr_mvpv3vtLOc1slnf7ro4_400.png
http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire1/67bfd8e57faea18d95704986b1036d3b1383180694_full.png  <-semi nsfw

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Re: [WIP] Ryuko Matoi - Looking for feedback

Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 04:23:28 am
Cute!

The whole body moves but the arms seem to stay in place and stretch out/grow bigger, would be more natural if they followed the rest of the body and changed angle instead of extending...
Also, it might be hard with the resolution, but it would look better if the knees bent slightly.

Offline mero

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 09:28:41 pm
Thanks for the response, Seiseki! :)

I see what you mean. I tried giving the knee bend a shot:
Looks like she has to use the restroom.
Feels like she is attempting to dance.
Not bad. However, the one leg is still clearly static.
I'll try messing with the arms. The transformed version's left arm(viewer right) looks like it is just popping in and out.

I'll also be working on the transformation tonight.

Reworking the transform:

Decided to visually show the old outfit ripping off.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:08:42 pm by mero »

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 10:31:54 pm
Looks better!
I'm wondering if the sword could wiggle less or would that make it look too stiff?

I wanted to attempt an edit.
I tried giving her a more fierce expression and add more shape to the hair, skirt and blade.

Offline mero

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 10:48:22 pm
That is super cute. Part of this exercise was to teach myself how to work with animation and flat styles. Therefore, I decided against adding shine and shading. Although, i'm sure that shading would allow me to make more convincing animations. I had a hard time making the sword wiggle look more subtle. However, I think that issue is mostly due to the sword's thin shape. I didn't know how to make it look sharp at other angles. Your sword looks like it would be a lot more flexible.

You've given me a lot to think about. Thanks for the edit and feedback!

« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 09:33:29 pm by mero »

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 07:25:15 am
Hey Mero!

Welcome to Pixelation =)

It's definitely a good idea to start with pretty flat colours when practising animation. Something that also helps is to get a pretty open and naturally easy to move stance, especially when it's someone holding a weapon. It doesn't take a lot of frames to make something this tiny move, this edit I made is 4 frames.

The trick is, well it's not really a trick but sort of the idea with an idle is to calculate how much you can move the character to create a loop back to your first frame. I try to simply begin by moving the upper body either up or down one pixel, leave the legs alone for now. This will happen:

What I try to work with after that is to move single pixels, like her knee bending, you simply have to move it a few pixels at the time, take away from the right side and move those pixels to the "inside" slowly building a cluster where she will bend it.

The light blue pixels is where the previous frame were

As you probably can see I've moved some colours on the inside as well.

after that you want the sprite to land in the position where it's as far down as it will ever be. A trick when animating hair is to always keep it one frame behind, it will make it look light and give it a nice flow. So in your 2nd frame you want the hair to almost be in the exact same position as it were in the first, or even up a pixel to indicate she's pressing down, and you won't move the hair much until the character prepares to go "up" again. The 3rd frame is all about reseting the character smoothly back to it's original frame. I don't know what tool you are using, but there are software out there that lets you use Onion skin (you see a transparent image of the previous frame) which helps a great  deal when trying to create a smooth loop, Graphics Gale is one of those.

I hope this can help you get a better understanding of animation. I could go on forever but the real lesson here is just to practise, practise and practise and eventually you'll feel that you're getting more and more control over the "limbs"!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 12:11:02 pm by coffee »