AuthorTopic: [C+C][WIP] Underwater fish drawing  (Read 3839 times)

Offline Alex Sinigaglia

• aka G.o.D.
    • god-of-death-alex
    • View Profile

[C+C][WIP] Underwater fish drawing

on: March 20, 2015, 11:45:20 am

I need feedback on how to improve the drawing. As for the fish colours, they will be fixed with a more blue hue. I intend this to be pixel art, not an oekaki.

Here are the steps this drawing went through:
Step 1
Step 2
Step 3
Step 4
Step 5
Step 6
Step 7
Step 8
Step 9
Step 10
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 01:15:44 pm by Alex Sinigaglia »

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Re: [C+C][WIP] Underwater fish drawing

Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 12:21:35 pm
I think the fish is a good opportunity to try a dithering pattern ,or make a transition using the fish scales as a way to break the color into parts.
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Alex Sinigaglia

• aka G.o.D.
    • god-of-death-alex
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 01:08:21 pm
Updated the background and the fish a bit:

before moving fully to the fish, is the background okay?

Offline JoeCreates

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 10:01:45 pm
I think you could make the background much more curvy. If you google "underwater", you'll see a lot of curves in the light and dark patches where the water obscures and refracts the light. Some curviness might help to make the scene feel more underwater.

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 10:35:52 pm
My first thought is that this is a pretty frickin huge canvas for a pixel art piece. And if you're going for a detailed, photorealistic style, then you've got a whole lot of work ahead of you. I imagine the background could turn out to be more work than the fish, really. Personally, I would make this smaller, especially since you're not quite sure about the technique you're going to use for the background.

I've started a fair number of pixel art pieces that were too big, without really knowing how I was going to pixel them. Then you spend a whole lot of time making changes every time someone offers advice, since the canvas is so huge, and eventually you run out of steam.

Just my humble opinion. If you're really eager to work on a big piece like this and put in the hours, I wish you lots of luck. Unfortunately, I can't really offer any constructive criticism yet.

Offline Alex Sinigaglia

• aka G.o.D.
    • god-of-death-alex
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 10:35:21 am
My first thought is that this is a pretty frickin huge canvas for a pixel art piece. And if you're going for a detailed, photorealistic style, then you've got a whole lot of work ahead of you. I imagine the background could turn out to be more work than the fish, really. Personally, I would make this smaller, especially since you're not quite sure about the technique you're going to use for the background.

I've started a fair number of pixel art pieces that were too big, without really knowing how I was going to pixel them. Then you spend a whole lot of time making changes every time someone offers advice, since the canvas is so huge, and eventually you run out of steam.

Just my humble opinion. If you're really eager to work on a big piece like this and put in the hours, I wish you lots of luck. Unfortunately, I can't really offer any constructive criticism yet.
I know what you mean. This is actually my first try at making backgrounds like this.

If you checked the filename this was thought to be a present for my dad; I have 5 days left, I probably won't finish it in time, but at least I'll try in this scale. Then I could reduce the canvas (remake it smaller). As far as details converning the background, for now it's fine (the bottom part will be darker), I just have to work on the curviness of the image as Joe suggested. And I'm now putting scales to the fish like Kazuya adviced me to do.

So, for a while, I'll keep it this scale, then I'll think about remaking it.