AuthorTopic: Platform hero animations  (Read 3170 times)

Offline Wes

• View Profile

Platform hero animations

on: February 01, 2015, 11:21:41 am
ok so this is what i've been working on lately.

idle beathing, regular running, jump.

these are her sprites with sword and shield. haven't animated them yet, gonna add the sword and shield to the animations above.

i'm more or less happy with this stuff so far. there's room for improvement, there always is, so feedback welcome. mostly these are for context because i'm having trouble with the attack stuff:

obv these are nowhere near as polished as the above stuff. SOMETHING doesn't feel right. could use some advice and feedback for the attacks. thanks guys.

Offline SceneGG

• View Profile

Re: Platform hero animations

Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 11:40:30 am
It's actually really cute.

Offline Cruckz

• Cruckz
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 12:11:46 pm
Hey I made a little change to your jump animation

Just altered the legs on the second half of the jump.

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 12:15:46 pm
Hey wes,

The sprite looks nice. The animations feel not quite there yet.

In the running loop, the torso, apart from twisting stays nearly stationary. looks very stiff that way.
The jumping seems more like she's lifted by a wire, than jumping from her own force.

Mhhh i cant really say for sure what exactly is odd with the round slash but it seems off. i guess there might be a frame missing in between the slash to understand how the pose ends up where it started. also it reminded me of ryu's slash
http://www.spriters-resource.com/snes/breathfire2/sheet/20122/

The stab looks very defensive since she moves her leg backwards.

made her balance on the hind leg, adapted some of the frame timings, twisted her torso a little in the third frame and shown her left arm to indicate a the actual lunge. finally adjusted the sword position a little to blend better between poses

Edit: After looking at it again, it seems there could even be more torso twisting expressed, especially in the stab frames. With a sword of this size you wouldnt just use your arms but your whole hips and torso to move that thing with the greatest force possible.

admittedly the change is very subtle. but if you look at her hips and back it seems like a more natural motion
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 01:39:55 pm by wzl »

Offline Wes

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 01:50:52 pm
Thanks guys  ;D

Hey I made a little change to your jump animation

I like this and made some small changes to the position of the legs. I can't animate the legs that way though, because in game the frames won't be used that way. To compensate for variable jump and fall heights, it'll be a looped 3-frame for the upwards and then a looped 3-frame for the down (with another frame for the peak of the jump and the landings).

made her balance on the hind leg, adapted some of the frame timings, twisted her torso a little in the third frame and shown her left arm to indicate a the actual lunge. finally adjusted the sword position a little to blend better between poses

thanks for the feedback and the edits, man. much appreciated.

i've done some more work on the attacks. here are the new gifs:

going in a better direction, still not entirely happy. i need to go to sleep and come back to these. been working with these guys all night  :ouch: :'( :blind:

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 05:18:49 pm
The new stab is really nice. has a good impact and nice flow  :y:

Offline Daimoth

• I Am Tooth
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 06:27:45 pm
The sword blur on the slash animation will read very oddly against very light backgrounds.