AuthorTopic: GR#233 - Ice - Shading  (Read 9500 times)

Offline Dyluckk

• View Profile

GR#233 - Ice - Shading

on: December 16, 2014, 11:02:47 pm
Started making crystal like structures,
Not really sure where to go next to make it any better  :-\
But I know it can be! :lol: Let me know what you guys think.

In context:

Edit:
New Piece!
Gonna mess with the pallete a bit.

Edit:

Combining my materials.
With some context.

I have a couple extra colors lurking in there.. I found 2 of them it should be 5 colors.
Is there a way to display the colors you are using on the current layer or in general in Graphics Gale? Thanks! :)

Edit:
Just messing with stuff.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 10:22:16 pm by Cyangmou »

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Re: [wip] Environment Pieces C&C

Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 10:34:28 pm
  • When having two clearly (not gradient) separate shades on the same face, you negate the possible feeling of 3d direction, I think.
  • Faces should be shaded according to their direction towards light.
  • The white stuff is like some kinda "paste" holding the faces into place, I assume. I changed it into a dark color, since I think it fits better (since these narrow edges don't usually get enough light to be white) although right now it looks kinda bad. If I had kept editing, I would have made the lines thinner, probably.

Quick edit, not very good but it kinda illustrates my points. I would have used more shades for the faces, to try and make it feel more 3d, but I stopped here :-X

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 02:17:05 am
ice is extremely hard to paint.

try to focus on the 2 main characteristics: it's cold and hard
this leads to strong blue colors (which you captured) and clear cut planes (if you want to go more for the crystal-impression than for the molten icicle impression) - yours seems to go more in the crystal direction
This means you work with strong straight lines sharp angles. try to emphasize the length with vertical lines, rather than with small cracked planes.

What makes ice so difficult are the reflective and transparent qualities - to capture those believable you need a lot of practice.
I added them to my edit, but try to focus on the more simple things before.

"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 05:02:55 pm
For ice crystals, I tend to draw the transparent nature first, then draw the reflections on top. Trying to do both just ends up being impossible and tends to look bad. Basically, I start with the dark shades and try to get a believable transparent nature, then I ad mostly pure white reflections on top. Cyangmou's edit is a perfect example (better than I can do).

Offline NowvaB

• View Profile
    • Tumblr

Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 01:34:44 am

some of the best ice I have ever seen is from megaman x.
I have tried to replicate it a few times but I always struggle.   :-[