AuthorTopic: ARGH- Might and Murder  (Read 3180 times)

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

ARGH- Might and Murder

on: September 12, 2014, 01:30:05 am

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16413001/URGH/index.html

This is a little project I've been working on the past couple days.
Left is WASD, right is arrow keys. To parry, make the same attack the other character is making.
Currently it's only a local multiplayer game, but I'm going to be working on a rudimentary AI. If you have friends around, I'd appreciate if you gave it a little try and let me know how it plays!  ;D
Planned features: Fatigue system, multiple wounds, changing cosmetics, kill counter, AI, (possibly) online multiplayer, (possibly) more attacks/blocking.
C&C welcome

Offline hobbler_toppler

• View Profile

Re: ARGH- Might and Murder

Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 07:02:19 am
Hahah, that's very cool. It's like a fighting game stripped all the way down to the very core. The funny thing about fighting game players is that they could even make this simple game into an intense rock-paper-scissors-esque mental showdown.

As for the pixel art, it could use more detail obviously. All of the colors seem rather dark, except for the swords and the helmet props which have blazing contrast against the rest of the scene.

Not really much else to say for critique. I thought this was really cool.

Offline JustinGameDesign

• JustinGameDev
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/46823.htm
    • JustinGameDesign
    • JustinGameDesign
    • View Profile
    • Support Justin Game Design on Patreon

Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 07:48:36 pm
I like the simple, easy-to-read sprites, but they blur into the BG just a bit too much.
Working on Wings of Aetos, a retro-style shooter/platformer in which a bare-chested angel-man makes things explode!

https://twitter.com/JustinGameDev

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 05:17:06 am
The V and the > key seem a bit random to be for a restart button. It took me a while to figure out that the scroll was signalling me to press that button since they are buttons I wouldn't expect to press in a game. Maybe make the banners say "Press *insert button here*", or at least make make the V and > flash or something.

Other than that, looks pretty cool. Haven't had to the chance to try it out with a friend yet, so I can't say much about gameplay.
Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)

Offline Blobber

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 08:21:52 am
Cool game - made me smile, which is rare.

I couldn't figure out how to restart, so I just refreshed the page a couple of times.  Now all you need to do is roll this into a multiplayer online version where people can go for an intense duel against some random stranger :)

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 06:20:51 pm
hobbler_toppler:
Thanks! Rock paper scissors style counters are certainly part of it. I may add shield bashes, kicks, counter attacks etc.
I've been a sabre fencer for about three years now so that's where I get most of my inspiration. Fencing is certainly a lot like an absurdly complex game of fast-paced RPS.

JustinGameDesign:
Thanks. I want to add more interest to them but keep the readability. This background I'm working on now is more washed out to help that.

PsylentKnight:
A lot of people have said that. I'll be changing it with that in mind, and I'll have it flash too.

Blobber:
I'm so glad! Online multiplayer is something I'm worried about starting to work on. I'm much more of an artist than a programmer, and more of a procrastinator than an artist. But I'll give it my best.

Work on gameplay will continue soon, but for now I'd like some help with the art. I want to nail down a style before I add more animations.

I tried to go for a polished brass look for this guy, with some furry shoulderpads.

Very unfinished. I'd like some opinions on the grass before I fill the rest with it.
Loose reference, from which some colors were stolen: http://www.laurierking.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Dartmoor.jpg
All opinions, especially harshly critical ones, are appreciated.