AuthorTopic: [C + C] Barbarian Turnaround  (Read 4185 times)

Offline miro42

• View Profile
    • Floydian Theory

[C + C] Barbarian Turnaround

on: August 01, 2014, 09:06:46 am

I was messing around, doodling, but I just kept going.  Any feedback on consistency, or anything else you can think of would be great. :)

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Re: [C + C] Barbarian Turnaround

Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 09:59:43 am
You have 3 positions of facing forward (left, right and front) but only one facing backwards (left) this is the cause animation looks glitchy. Also this doesn't look at all like a barbarian to me (not even a cartoony one) probably because of body proportions. If you remove skyrim helmet there's nothing there that could suggest "barbarian" it's just a peasant. Try to work on that.

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile
    • Doctor Who - Retro Sprite Gallery

Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 03:41:32 pm
Also this doesn't look at all like a barbarian to me (not even a cartoony one) probably because of body proportions. If you remove skyrim helmet there's nothing there that could suggest "barbarian" it's just a peasant. Try to work on that.

I was expecting Conan-like when I clicked the topic.  Perhaps this is like Conan from the beginning of the movie when he was a lil boy.

Barbarians generally have a lot of muscle mass and look like they can tear you apart in seconds. 
NES, Amiga & Amstrad CPC inspired
I know nothing about pixel art
http://carnivac.tumblr.com/

Offline miro42

• View Profile
    • Floydian Theory

Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 11:50:55 pm
You have 3 positions of facing forward (left, right and front) but only one facing backwards (left) this is the cause animation looks glitchy.

I'm not really sure what you mean by 3 positions facing forward.  I thought it was pretty clear that the left and right positions were left and right and not facing forward.  There are parts to his design that make him more forward looking in the left and right, but that's because a full on profile would be very boring, and when he's moving sideways if I turned him "back" then you wouldn't actually see his character design.

Also, I guess I should just remove the .gif as it's not intended to be a smooth animation, but rather a showcase to see how consistent the character is.  Maybe the still is sufficient in this?

Also this doesn't look at all like a barbarian to me (not even a cartoony one) probably because of body proportions. If you remove skyrim helmet there's nothing there that could suggest "barbarian" it's just a peasant. Try to work on that.

I was expecting Conan-like when I clicked the topic.  Perhaps this is like Conan from the beginning of the movie when he was a lil boy.

Barbarians generally have a lot of muscle mass and look like they can tear you apart in seconds. 

That's size discrimination!  Hiccup the Viking would have words with you. ;)

But to appease the masses of 2 here's a quick edit (and I do mean quick) of a little bulkier dude. 

This makes him a different character, but does he fit your stereotype a bit better? :D

EDIT:  Not sure if this would be considered a double post so I just edited in this one.

So I actually really liked the buffed up dude better, even though it's not really what I was going for.  So I continued on his turnaround and added pretty shading in .

« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 04:44:06 am by miro42 »

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 04:26:40 am
he does look better to me, you dont necessarily have to have a super buff barbarian but i think it looks better with some form for sure! why not do his legs too. and maybe change the helmet? it reminds me a lot of skyrim-man, unless that was the intention of course.

is he meant to be spinning on the spot like a rotating effect by the way?

Offline miro42

• View Profile
    • Floydian Theory

Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 12:40:42 am
he does look better to me, you dont necessarily have to have a super buff barbarian but i think it looks better with some form for sure! why not do his legs too. and maybe change the helmet? it reminds me a lot of skyrim-man, unless that was the intention of course.

is he meant to be spinning on the spot like a rotating effect by the way?

Regardless of the fact that it immediately screams "Skyrim!" I'll keep it.  It looks cool. ;)

And no, he's not spinning.  It's just kind of a showcase, like if it was a 3D model you'd spin it around to see all sides.

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 07:43:35 pm
yeah thats what i meant. So if weve got the left, right, front and rear views of the same model, theres some inconsistencies. the right view looks more like a front-right view, we can see too much of his front and think about where the arms should be in relation to eachother, the sword arm should be behind the shield arm

Offline miro42

• View Profile
    • Floydian Theory

Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 11:39:57 am
yeah thats what i meant. So if weve got the left, right, front and rear views of the same model, theres some inconsistencies. the right view looks more like a front-right view, we can see too much of his front and think about where the arms should be in relation to eachother, the sword arm should be behind the shield arm

Ahh, yes I see it.  I intentionally fudged the right view for the sake of the shield not covering up the rest of his body, thinking in terms of if it was in a game it'd be boring to just see his shield (my subjective argument), even if it that were less accurate.

Thanks, Probo! :D  Any further thoughts?

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 11:50:06 pm
Id perhaps work on your rendering to give it that 3rd dimension. I often find that as i shade, i notice and correct problems with the form as im not the best drawer in the first place! you might notice for example that the pose looks a lot more dynamic if the rear foot isnt flat against the ground.

some shading could pronounce the muscles and give the different material's textures, which makes an image more interesting. The shield could also benefit from a simple design or something, you dont have to go crazy though. also think about how the cloth might move with his body, like the skirt bit over his upper thighs, one is back letting the skirt hang, the other is forward which would raise it up.

here i did an edit.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 12:21:58 am by Probo »