AuthorTopic: GR#199 - Character - Animation  (Read 31166 times)

Offline RedSuinit

• View Profile

Reworked the stomach area, brought the edge of the shirt in my one pixel, then let it expand to add to the popping effect by making the shirt look like it is filling with air. Added sunglasses and lightened the highlight color on the legs. Also improved arm pixels to try and reduce the banding.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! I can't decide if I like the glasses though.

I still don't feel like I have enough though, the character seems SO PLAIN. I think I may try to add a jacket or something like that.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 05:45:39 pm by RedSuinit »

Offline Alexanator28

• View Profile
I did an edit to the arms of your animation. I tried to get the shading slightly changed, so you didn't get the banding effect.

Edit: My program made it slightly faster than what it was before for some reason, and I don't know how to fix it :/
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 06:21:09 pm by Alexanator28 »

Offline RedSuinit

• View Profile
I did an edit to the arms of your animation. I tried to get the shading slightly changed, so you didn't get the banding effect.

Edit: My program made it slightly faster than what it was before for some reason, and I don't know how to fix it :/

I like the shading for the wrist! Thank you for the edit!

I think I am just going to leave him fingerless though.

My latest edit. I reduced the saturation in the shirt to get a more realistic look, reworked the back of the arms to get rid of the banding there as well, shortened the arms, added a little bit of pop to the pant legs, and added 1 pixel to the feet with some re-shading.

Thoughts?? I feel like he is getting so close! What accessory can I add to get that little touch of flair,  but won't be over the top.

Offline RedSuinit

• View Profile
Another edit, fixed the banding in the legs, and the two frames where the arm wasn't the same length as the rest of the animation.

Thoughts??
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 08:05:07 pm by RedSuinit »

Offline Yukie Anima

• View Profile
Another great improvement!

I was just about to tell you about the contrast of the shirt. Darker contrasts makes it more realistic.

You could try adding some emotion to him now. Something like, a angry look in his face with only 4 pixels above his sunglasses, and that would be the eyebrows. Or, maybe a sarcastic smile. Maybe a jacket, a cap, things that would add emotion to the character. What I told you were only examples, but if you like one of them, you can use it!

That way the shirt goes up, too, I think it shouldn't happen. It's a little unnecessary and it takes some attention. I think you should either remove it, or make that part of the animation less... 'strong'.

And I think you could rework the pallete of the hair. Maybe making it a little darker. I think he shading makes it look like it is glowing.

And there's one little pixel on the arm that is really unconfortable at least for me. The shirt isn't moving, but the shading is. That shouldn't happen. Try removing it.

Good job so far!
I'm actually a little scared of forums... but I always liked them, so I'm joining this one now! I hope we can all get along.

Offline RedSuinit

• View Profile

How about that? I want the arm to move, I dunno why. I just like it! XD You were right about the shirt though, this looks much more natural.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 08:21:51 pm by RedSuinit »

Offline Yukie Anima

• View Profile
No, that's not what I mean at all. The arm should move! But there's one pixel on it that's a shading that shouldn't be there. On the left arm, right before the shirt.

Also, the shading on the lag is getting a little strange. And the shirt moving. I think that's unnecessary. But that's up to you.

I learned pixel art needs to be kept simple. Unnecessary details just shouldn't be there.

Also, try adding some kind of emotion to him with something. Maybe you don't need to, if your character is serious. But that's up to you too.
I'm actually a little scared of forums... but I always liked them, so I'm joining this one now! I hope we can all get along.

Offline RedSuinit

• View Profile

Another edit. Messing with the colors again. Put a lot of work into the legs to fix the funky shading. But the shirt just looks too static to me without the pop....

EDIT: A comparison of no pop, and with pop. I like the pop much better.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 10:08:38 pm by RedSuinit »

Offline Yukie Anima

• View Profile
You could use shading to remove the static of the shirt, or stay with the new pop animation you made. Not showing his skin when it 'pops' doesn't draw much attention, and it can be a option.

Offline RedSuinit

• View Profile
I think this will be my final edit, unless someone has more feedback. I increased the size of the facial features, and now feel like the character is complete.

Thoughts?