AuthorTopic: Intro Thread for Spacebovine  (Read 4038 times)

Offline spacebovine

• View Profile

Intro Thread for Spacebovine

on: June 29, 2014, 08:58:35 am
Hi folks. I have just started getting back into a bit of pixel art and have had a look around the forum. There are some amazing pieces of art here and some great tips.
I've always thought that if you are going to join a forum you really should do more than just lurk around watching :)

So with that in mind I thought I'd share some of my recent work. These are for nothing more than fun and some personal Tshirt designs. I'm sharing them only because hopefully someone will get a bit of a giggle out of them.

I started out many years ago doing pixelart in Deluxe Paint on my Amiga 500. Since then I've done a lot of art, but not a lot of pixelart...you can see some of my other work here http://www.spacebovine.com
As a new member, I hope you will cut me some slack if I have bent any rules or made any pixelart faux pas ;)

These have all been created on my Galaxy Note 2 phone using IsoPix Pro...pixelart is train travel friendly :)

Anyway, here's a few pieces :)

Y U NO BELIEVE

GREAT OLD ONE (one for the HP Lovecraft fans)

THE FEISTY BARNACLE

THE DREAMER
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 10:13:09 pm by spacebovine »

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Re: Intro Thread for Spacebovine

Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 02:40:55 pm
cthulhu isn't an elder god, he's a great old one  >:(

Offline spacebovine

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 10:12:25 pm
Lol, fair enough. I've changed the title ;)
Any other crits ?

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 08:54:46 pm
Hey there, welcome =)

You should post 1x art. This forum has a zoom feature (click image); people will make edits more easily at native resolution.

If you want help on a specific piece, please choose one. Some work could be done on color and shading ;)

Offline FrostPumpkin

• View Profile
    • Tumblr

Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 12:27:57 pm
Hey there, welcome =)

You should post 1x art. This forum has a zoom feature (click image); people will make edits more easily at native resolution.

If you want help on a specific piece, please choose one. Some work could be done on color and shading ;)

Good point, especially since some of your pixels are deformed by the zoom. Remember to use the right values when you zoom in (100%-200%-300%, etc.) otherwise the some pixels won't be squares and the overall result will be kind of wonky.

I like the style tho, keep going !

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 05:04:23 pm
haha fancy seeing you here Shane  ;D (local Adeliade-ian  ;) ) cool stuff. Dig the whimsy, and toonish style.

regarding faux pas there is heavy "banding" in the alien one :P the others not so much, suggestion on how you could go about the shading, whilst avoiding the banding.
although he lost his proportions due to the strange pixel ratio. looks interesting, and he also lost the stroppy edge :blind:

And then just playing around with the other one, cool T-shirt idea.

Offline spacebovine

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 12:47:41 pm
Hey guys, cheers for the feedback.
Sorry about the large size, these are really meant to be displayed at this size as if they are really retro giant pixel styles. As I said, these are mostly for tshirt designs and will also be for some mosaics made of ceramic tiles so are meant to be chunky, lacking in colours and oversized :) I really should have explained myself better.

Cheers for the paint over Grimsane, nice work :)

This was just an intro thread.
I'll post correctly next time :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 01:08:45 pm by spacebovine »