AuthorTopic: [WIP][C+C] Dog Portrait  (Read 2354 times)

Offline sniper honeyviper

• View Profile

[WIP][C+C] Dog Portrait

on: April 18, 2014, 02:45:00 am

Getting close to as done as it'll get, but some of the fur is still real rough and ears look wacky. The snout also seems weirdly disconnected and I'm not sure how to fix it. Any tips would be A+.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP][C+C] Dog Portrait

Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 12:05:42 am
Thats just because you have a thin hard dark line there.
You could soften that line and some shadowing around it will make it blend more.
Tongue seems like overkill too.
Do you intend the plastic texture u have?

Offline Travisty

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 10:14:09 pm
Just joined because of you (and a hearty recommendation by one of the two people who created Risk of Rain).

It honestly looks really good to me. I don't know what's art style and what's just rough, so I'll point out what I see. Right now, your work is giving me a "Hearty and powerful wolf-like dog who's definitely of a wiser and non-youthful state" vibe. He definitely seems like the type that would protect whomever's the target of his current emote (the word I'm looking for is giving me a 404).

The fur doesn't appear plastic to me, but (and I'm sure this is what he was getting at) it does appear somewhat grizzled/"clumpy"/grouped in clusters similar to that of one with dreadlocks (that same idea, I mean). That's fine if you're going for the rustic/rural/man with his dog in the mountains look, but if that's not what you're going for definitely split up the hairs and give them far more varying lengths. The more variation and light difference, the more youthful and well-kept the dog will look, so balance it as you see fit. I actually like the tongue, to be honest. But it's the same as I said above, if you're looking for something more youthful and excited, it needs to extend further downward, potentially grow more sloppy, and right now it feels like it's a bit on the thin side (indicating the dog may need water or something). It all fits thematically in that sense, but if that wasn't your intent, definitely do some of the above. And if you're going to make the tongue like that, be sure to add highlights, as otherwise it does appear to be rather dry, whereas most dogs are choking on spit because it's everywhere in there.

Offline JoeCreates

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 08:35:59 am
Overall it's very nice! I like the shape, although the fact it is so symmetrical is a little weird. The colours were the main thing that stood out as potential areas for improvement. The straight greys are a little bland, so I'd suggest some faint brown and yellow in there. The tongue is saturated to the point it seems to glow. I'd suggest lowring the saturation, perhaps adding an extra tone and some gloss to make it look wet. The teeth seemed particularly too grey to me. Dogs teeth tend to have a fair bit of yellow in them, I think. The snout could look more attached by removing and lightening some of the outline.

I've done a little edit to give some ideas: