AuthorTopic: Goob running after his own bone.  (Read 5888 times)

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Goob running after his own bone.

on: January 14, 2014, 11:47:33 pm
Heya! Been a while (I was waiting for my other threads to go down the page a bit so that it doesn't seem like I'm spamming).

I'd like some feedback to improve the bone throwing motion here:

V1:

V2:

Thank you, I'll put your comments into practice, as usual,  :y:.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 12:57:33 pm by Zizka »

Offline Savick

• View Profile

Re: Goob throwing a nasty bone and licking itself

Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 12:17:12 am
I can't really see the bone on the second version and the first doesn't have the bone being thrown that I can tell. I'm not sure how you would make the bone more noticeable besides an outline or making the background color darker. His right arm also kinda fades into his loincloth making it hard to see. I like the animation.

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 12:19:49 am
Yeah, that was sort of silly of me!

Here:

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 12:27:19 am
Hey Zizka. I like your guy, he's cool. I did a pretty rough animation edit. I think you should be a little more bold in deforming and moving the different parts of your character. In my edit I tried to make a bigger wind up to the throw. I did so by moving his body more, and keeping the movement on his arm on its own trajectory, not locked to the movement of the body. If I was going to make this into a complete thing, I would probably take it even farther.

Another thing I would do, would be to keep the animation moving after he throws the bone. Right now, he locks up while the bone is moving. As he throws, he puts weight on his front leg, bending it. After releasing the bone, he should rebound from this impact, and continue that reverse momentum into standing up normally. His throwing arm should have some follow through after he releases the bone.

Speaking of weight, try to picture where the weight of his body is. In yours, he puts all the weight on his back foot as he winds up, then it slides back as he throws. This takes a lot of energy out of the throw. In mine, that foot with the weight on it stays planted, pushing his body forward with the throw.

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 12:33:58 am
Hi NaCl,

I've actually tried to angle the head differently but couldn't get the eyes to look right in ''diagonal'' if that makes any sense. I'll show you how it looks like tomorrow when I change the orientation of the head. My objective was to have him tilt backwards loads more like you did in your edit.

Another thing I would do, would be to keep the animation moving after he throws the bone. Right now, he locks up while the bone is moving. As he throws, he puts weight on his front leg, bending it. After releasing the bone, he should rebound from this impact, and continue that reverse momentum into standing up normally. His throwing arm should have some follow through after he releases the bone.

The reason why I didn't do this is because of the frame speed. The movement of the body will need to match the speed of the spinning bone and I think it will be too fast. I can't see a way around this.

Speaking of weight, try to picture where the weight of his body is. In yours, he puts all the weight on his back foot as he winds up, then it slides back as he throws. This takes a lot of energy out of the throw. In mine, that foot with the weight on it stays planted, pushing his body forward with the throw.

I've saved your edit. I'll give it a shot.

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 01:07:35 am
Well the thing will only move as fast as its position changes per frame. If you want something to move slower, you just move it less for every frame.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 01:36:55 am
I think the action line is to static because the action line of the char stays always the same.
and there is no feel of tension in the animation due to lack of different speed and timing.

A really rough and quick done edit, without any exact planning beforehand - just to tired atm.
It's somewhat glued together, but you should get the idea (and you could exaggerate it even a lot more)

"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 12:06:33 am
Update on my little guy.

I heavily used Cyangmou's edit as a reference to edit this new version (so major props to him for that). I feel that my version is still very different than his though.You'll notice I've been less conservative movement wise and more willing

I think it looks much better this way. I still want to him him back up after throwing the bone, like walking backwards. Maybe hit his chest too like a gorilla in heat (or not in heat).

V2:

V3:

So yeah, as usual, rip it apart. I'm sure there's still room for improvement.

Cheers!

Zizka

Offline Savick

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 12:27:32 pm
V2 there looks like he's really putting some energy into that throw. I likes it.

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 09:32:11 pm
Thanks  :)

A slightly updated version, I'm trying to get the little guy to turn his head but there's something off about it.