AuthorTopic: GR#234 - Forest Tileset  (Read 100177 times)

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Re: Forest tileset... rocks [c+c]

Reply #40 on: January 29, 2014, 07:57:46 pm
I can't for the life of me spot the difference.
The only place I would consider AA on such an image is the silhouette between the canopy and the grass. But that would break down if you want the canopy to overlap other tiles/sprites.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #41 on: January 30, 2014, 02:14:01 am
Here they are overlayed.
The leaves get slightly bigger.

And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: January 30, 2014, 03:00:41 am
Beetle, I think you may have been looking at that tree for too long  :-X. There isn't really any difference and they both look fantastic.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #43 on: January 30, 2014, 03:47:54 am
I try to avoid adding colors specifically for the purpose of AA alone.  If you have it available to you in your palette and you're getting good mileage at of it, then definitely go for it.  But if the only use case for that color in the entire piece is just subtle AA, then I'd leave it out.  The benefits don't justify it.

Offline breakfast

• @TupelosHoney
    • BBreakfast
    • arcadianatlas
    • becca.bair
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #44 on: January 30, 2014, 06:16:03 am
I don't personally feel that AA is something to be used within the object itself, but rather on the outside of it to help it blend seamlessly in with it's surroundings. We aren't able to notice the AA you added within the leaves because it's not really needed there, if you wanted to add some antialiasing I think the only place it could be beneficial is to smooth out the canopy of the tree into the grass behind it. This can get a little sticky though since it will complicate things when you want to add something other than just the pure green grass directly behind all your trees in game.

Unless...! If your game allows for opacity levels you could add specks of black/dark brown/dark blue (whatever works best) in a light level of opacity of 20% or so as AA on the outside of the tree to help the AA work with all different types of backgrounds.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 06:27:02 am by breakfast »

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #45 on: February 03, 2014, 05:06:51 am
Echoing the sentiment that the AA is unnecessary. This is beautiful work by the way, cleanest I've seen in a while. I think the grass needs another variation, I liked the patch in this image:

Because the two types of patches you have currently are either hyper rendered or not detailed enough.

I really want to see more! Wonderful stuff.  :y:

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #46 on: February 12, 2014, 12:59:05 am
Thanks  everyone for the help! Very helpful information! I started to create path.. Its looks decent but its might look better when all path direction is done.. I fixed a lot of small thing here and there.... Also I changed bush color to  turqoise.... I hope it does fit better.... Its  sad that this mockup looks pretty crap with different monitor...

« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 10:56:07 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #47 on: February 12, 2014, 09:30:19 am
Looks perfect to me ;D
But definitely as you said more directions. maybe some variation about too? As in less linear of a straight path.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #48 on: February 12, 2014, 12:24:14 pm
No issues with the colours, and I still love your clusters as much. Those beautiful flowers you have, however, make the scene look more artificial (as in garden), imho, especially given how they stick to the grid. The flat, white ones are those that work best imho. They get a bonus for a second variant (be it blue, yellow or orange), but again, mixing all the colours together is something you make in a garden, but that I'd not expect from wild life. As a level designer, I'd likely as you for logs instead of flowers-to-line-up, but I might be happy to pick one of those higher-flowers and use it as a way to make specific locations more memorable.

some experiments:

- variation on how much "higher grass" you have around a tree will reduce how "similar" tree look.
- allowing half-tile alignment on flowers could make them look more organically-placed.
- for some flowers, a 2 or 3-tiles patch might work better than individual items.

Any ideas for NPCs or monsters ?

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: February 12, 2014, 12:48:12 pm
No issues with the colours, and I still love your clusters as much. Those beautiful flowers you have, however, make the scene look more artificial (as in garden), imho, especially given how they stick to the grid. The flat, white ones are those that work best imho. They get a bonus for a second variant (be it blue, yellow or orange), but again, mixing all the colours together is something you make in a garden, but that I'd not expect from wild life. As a level designer, I'd likely as you for logs instead of flowers-to-line-up, but I might be happy to pick one of those higher-flowers and use it as a way to make specific locations more memorable.

Thank you PypeBros!

Yeah I totally agree with you...  It would better put those multi color flowers in town instead of forest.. Also the linear setting of the plants make it look even more garden :p

- variation on how much "higher grass" you have around a tree will reduce how "similar" tree look.
- allowing half-tile alignment on flowers could make them look more organically-placed.
- for some flowers, a 2 or 3-tiles patch might work better than individual items.

Thank you for these advices! Organic placement of plants would make this piece more natural.

Any ideas for NPCs or monsters ?.

Sadly I havent done much  :(  I have only done some monster concept art..

Looks perfect to me ;D
But definitely as you said more directions. maybe some variation about too? As in less linear of a straight path.

Thank you ||||! Thats is my next step!