AuthorTopic: [PAID] Artist needed for rpg themed game.  (Read 3436 times)

Offline genowhirl9999

• View Profile

[PAID] Artist needed for rpg themed game.

on: September 12, 2013, 08:57:41 am
Hey I'm John Tomblin at the newly created game development studio Skepsys Games. I'm currently working with another developer (both of us are trained in game programming and design) on a game and we're looking for an artist to round out our rather small team.

The game doesn't currently have a title because once we can get our website up and ready (should be done by the end of the week) we're planning to have a contest so fans can name it themselves (we'll accept suggestions and name a winner).

The game concept is a little unusual but it's gotten a fantastic response from many developers and gamers including several of the PAX 10 developers. The player runs a hotel/resort for rpg heroes (like those typical in final fantasy games) and protects them from all of the wild beasts, monsters and villains after them so they can relax and enjoy their stay. The game consists of a hotel management sim portion and a tower defense portion. The latter uses heroes who opt to pay with services instead of coin and plays more like plants vs. zombies with rows than the typical maze building tower defense.

So the plan here is to spend the next month or so preparing a prototype and a kickstarter as well as building our existing fanbase and getting as much media coverage as possible. Doing this without an artist would be extremely different obviously. After the kickstarter the project is expected to take between 4 and 6 months. We're looking at ideally releasing on PC, Android, iOS and Wii U platforms though depending on circumstances we may change our plans to increase or decrease the number of platforms we launch on.

We need a well rounded artist than can handle art for a website, sprites for a game, ui elements, etc. Obviously we want pixel art, preferably in a style that instills a sense of nostalgia for SNES rpgs like Final Fantasy. This game does the job fairly well for example: http://seyken.org/

We want a partner in this not just some hired help.

In terms of payment during the prototype phase I can promise a salary of around $13/hr for a full time position. I would pay more if I could but with my current level of funding this is all I can afford. After the kickstarter during full production I can promise at minimum if we reach our goal $13/hr full time as well as a very significant cut of the profits from sales. If we go over our goal I would be willing to pay more, it's something we can negotiate when the time comes.

You can reach me at John@SkepsysGames.com.

We're both located in Washington, near Seattle. Local is a plus. Willing to use webcam or at least voice chat is also a plus (face to face communication reduces miscommunication).

If you have any questions please let me know and I'd be happy to answer them.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 08:59:30 am by genowhirl9999 »

Offline Deadpixelstudios

• View Profile

Re: [PAID] Artist needed for rpg themed game.

Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 09:36:11 am
I can tell you from personal experience that if you're expecting that quality of artwork you won't find it for that price. Expect to pay around 50-60$/hour for work like that. Maybe even more.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 11:07:47 am by Deadpixelstudios »

Offline breakfast

• @TupelosHoney
    • BBreakfast
    • arcadianatlas
    • becca.bair
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 04:57:16 pm
Well, Cyangmou is a very well known and established pixel artist so his rates are obviously going to need to be more. I am not as experienced of an artist as him, and so a job like this would take me longer, but I would ask around $40/hr for a job of this size and quality.

Of course, I am booked up with pixel jobs right now so I wouldn't be able to do this job anyway, but just wanted to share my opinion on the subject. If you want a really established artist then yes, it will cost you around what Deadpixelstudios said, but if you're willing to take a bit more of a risk then you could get away with the price range I mentioned. But, yeah, $13/hr for top notch pixel art is just not going to cut it. You need to either take more time to save up more money for an artist or lower your art standards.

Offline genowhirl9999

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 09:44:19 am
It's an ideal not a requirement, artists of any skill level are welcome to apply. The idea here is for someone who wants to be part of a company from the start and grow with the company. If you're looking for a quick high paying contract I agree this is not for you. It's a risk but it's a small team with a lot of passion and we're looking for a third partner, not one of many employees or a part time contractor.

I appreciate your feedback though and I agree it's a shame I can't offer more but this is where we are right now.