AuthorTopic: Commercial Critique Challenge - Pokemon Red/Blue  (Read 139358 times)

Offline pokeglitch

• View Profile

Re: Commercial Critique Challenge - Pokemon Red/Blue

Reply #150 on: August 25, 2014, 12:45:44 pm
pokeglitch, that looks absolutely amazing! The black background gives the battle a cinematic feel reminiscent to the nidorino vs gengar cutscene, and that's a great thing.

a few concerns:
- where would trainer's remaining pokemon be shown?
- will you have "HP" in the HUD at all? without it things get to be a bit nebulous up there
- do you plan on making exp shown in hud? It's pretty important!

Thanks!  I agree with you about the cinematic effect.

For your questions:
-The trainer party info will be shown where the HP is current displayed
-The players pokemon HP (in numbers) is displayed next to the minisprite, under the HUD.  It only shows the current HP though.
-I have considered and Exp bar.  The only place for it to fit, though, is in the three vertical tiles before the enemy Pokemon's mini sprite.  I'm not sure how it will look, but I'll play around with some designs.  I'm mostly worried about animating it, but if that before troublesome I can just skip any animation

Offline Kirby

• View Profile

Reply #151 on: August 25, 2014, 02:04:07 pm
Kirby, how is your game coming along?

Well, I don't have a fancy video to show off yet but I can show you some screen shots of what it's looking like so far!

So I'll walk you through this.  When you get into the fight, if you have this interface turned on, they won't say their opening line before the battle screen, but there in the start of the battle.  It will first show your name and the enemy trainer's name, and then the name panels will slide out to the sides and be replaced by the panels with the pokemon count.  You'll both send out your pokemon (no animation done yet) and then the letterboxing 'closes in' and the screen shifts up one tile to make room for the more detailed interface.  When you pick your attack, the letterboxing 'opens up' again and it only shows the health bar and status of the defending pokemon.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 02:11:33 pm by Kirby »

Offline pokeglitch

• View Profile

Reply #152 on: August 27, 2014, 11:32:33 am
Looks good! Are you going to implement the entire battle mechanics?  That sounds like a huge undertaking

Offline pokeglitch

• View Profile

Reply #153 on: September 17, 2014, 11:15:51 pm
Sorry for the double post, but for those still interested, I added the finishing touches to the battle screen HUD.  I updated the level tiles (they now appear for both pokemon), added an Exp bar, and added a pokeball that lets you know if you have already caught the opposing pokemon.  Check out the video below (with the DragonDePlatino and StevenM "indoor" background).

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #154 on: September 20, 2014, 07:04:35 am
Definitely awesome! Although looking at it now, it does feel a bit cramped for some reason. What would it look like without the 8 pixel black border around the menu? That's 16 pixels that could go to more background and space for the battles!

Offline pokeglitch

• View Profile

Reply #155 on: September 20, 2014, 04:19:07 pm
Thanks! You're right, I could get two more rows of tiles for the background (though I hate you for suggesting it because I just finished the bgs yesterday).  I do like the buffer between the bottom of the BG and the text area, but I can make a quick mock up tomorrow and see how it would look with a larger BG.  The only thing is (due to the nature of the code I've written) I can only use 16 different tiles for the BG (not counting solid colors), so I wouldn't be able to add in any new tiles.  Thanks for the suggestion though!

Offline Vagrant

• At your service.
    • @VagrantPixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/43310.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #156 on: November 06, 2014, 04:56:20 pm
Impressive.

I don't care how long this takes, but I want it. I can wait.

Offline Jackster

• View Profile

Reply #157 on: December 25, 2014, 05:12:10 am
Hi everyone, I've returned after so long to post these.

I started to grow interest in remaking all 151 Pokemon from Red/Blue after seeing how god awful the original sprites looked (the same goes with the Red/Green sprites too). My goal also includes drawing them in the same pose and close to the same shading as the originals. So far, I've done the starters, other Pokemon will soon come.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 05:22:16 am by Jackster »

Offline marios92

• View Profile

Reply #158 on: January 18, 2015, 09:26:38 am

The first four screens with intro, menu, attack menu and narration; a larger opponent Pokemon to demonstrate the necessity of the 56*56 blank space; the intro of a Giovanni battle demonstrating a different background entirely; the original background and battle menu style that had to be removed; a dark cave background. I changed all the sprites from the original games as well as the menu style, and I'm liking most of the changes, it gives me a strong Shining Force vibe.

EDIT: The two FOCUS ENERGY screenshots have different looks for Pokemon Trainer Red, I don't have a real preference between the two.

DOUBLE EDIT: I changed the Mewtwo sprite. I initially liked the idea of the semi-shadowy figure with his face obscured, but the weird contrast in lighting and dithering didn't save the picture. If you want to see the initial picture, it's here.

Damn, please make sprites of other Pokemon... your style is perfect, i love your pics :D

Offline marios92

• View Profile

Reply #159 on: February 07, 2015, 09:50:45 am
With your pixel skill, you can make this Snorlax in sprite? :D Its one of my fav pokemon, and i like to see "this pic in game" XD if you can, indeed:
www.puclpodcast.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Snorlax_AG_anime.png