AuthorTopic: new pixel artist  (Read 8852 times)

Offline snake85027

• View Profile

new pixel artist

on: March 26, 2013, 01:10:20 am
My name is David B and I am a video game artist. I create 3d game art but love pixel art and I am trying to get better at it. Here is something I did today.  Mine is on the Right and the one on the left is from an old snes game called Mr Nuts.
 Any advice would be awesome.

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Re: new pixel artist

Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 02:57:16 am
The color count of that image is over 16 thousand  :ouch: Knowing how to save your work properly is probably the very first thing to know when you're doing pixel art. You do not want to save your work as a jpg; it does odd stuff to your pixels and creates pixel noise as well. Save it as a PNG.

Other than that, it is generally a bad habit to detail with little pixel dots. Consider the tree that you're referencing... It mostly focuses on areas of color, not so much with trying to texture with pixel dots.

Offline snake85027

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 04:19:33 pm
So what do you recommend..should I be using a bigger brush when I paint?

Offline cirpons

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 04:37:45 pm

At such a scale it would be wise to block out the shape and general lightning with a larger brush and only then clean it up with a 1 px brush.

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 11:46:21 pm
Dave, hello & welcome! :)

Yeah, definitely. Always big to small, vague to specific; work stuff out sequentially at it's simplest.

This is a huge piece for starters, and actually for pixel art generally; lots of non-pixel specific block-out and tons of boring clean-up and hassle to make progress. I'd suggest that getting lots of smaller, quicker stuff done to build familiarity and confidence would be really helpful.

Subject wise straight reproduction can be pretty limiting too. Taking whatever technique and stylistic information you're looking for and applying that your own sketch is a good way to force yourself to properly engage with reference and hopefully come away from the exercise with the means to apply things to future work. At the moment most feedback is just gonna be about looking more closely at the original etc.

Offline snake85027

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 06:51:54 pm
Here is a small game Im working on using Game-editor engine.

Just a simple game, you can try it here..still in progress.
www.dwbailey.com/images/squirrelnutsProduction.exe

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 09:36:58 pm
Don't even think about scaling pixel art. There is barely anything more unappealing than stretched pixel art.

Simple redraw it in the bigger resolution and make sure that all resolutions fit together.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline snake85027

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 03:00:55 am
Not sure why the screen shot is like that. Im using photoshop and have Image interpolation it set to Nearest Nieghbor seems to work well with scaling up images. Not sure why my screenshot looks blurry.

I paint the image at a small scale to give it that edgey pixelated look. When I try to paint on a larger canvas the style is gone because the edges look to smooth. Whats your thoughts?

Here is the game.

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 04:43:55 am
Not sure why the screen shot is like that. Im using photoshop and have Image interpolation it set to Nearest Nieghbor seems to work well with scaling up images. Not sure why my screenshot looks blurry.

Your screenshot is blurry because it's a jpeg. I'm not sure if it was the host automatically converting your screenshot into jpg but either way, it's a bad file format for pixel art. To make it more easier for others, I've looked at your game for a bit and pulled a couple of screenshots in PNG format.

I paint the image at a small scale to give it that edgey pixelated look. When I try to paint on a larger canvas the style is gone because the edges look to smooth. Whats your thoughts?

Here is the game.

It would help if the art style was consistent. The text is not blocky but is rather 'smooth' instead. Our main hero isn't made of giagantic rectangles while the background is definitely made of big blocky rectangles. There are a number of elements that are rotated. Rotated, skewed pixels like what you find a lot on the second screenshot looks weird because everything else is made of squares, not rotated squares. The acorn net is a weird combination of blocky and blurry. It was animated with the help of a transformation tool that creates a lot of antialiasing that creates a level of blur that looks out of place in our game world.

I also noticed the enormous resolution of 1024x768. A tiny resolution like 256x224, one used by the SNES is already more than enough pixels for an artist to be able to draw something. Only thing is if your programming knowledge goes far enough to be able to get the game to scale the screen by a factor of a whole number. Pixel art is much easier to make at smaller resolutions as well. Working too big is probably the most common mistake a pixel artist would make. I see possibilities of a blocky, rectangular style working out but it doesn't seem to be a style that's easy to do especially not for artists starting out. I would either follow Cy's advice to redraw your stuff in your intended resolution, or just go with a smaller resolution so you will still get your blocky aesthetic but benefit from a more consistent resolution.

Offline snake85027

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 03:27:31 pm
I have the screen size for the ipad, 768 by 1024. Now when your talking about 256x224, were you referring to the background or just overall screen size? the background is 3000 by 750..

If I paint at the normal image size is there a way to get my pencil brush to snap to the larger grid per block? I would take my large image say the tree and go from its normal size to a 100 by whatever and then paint it because I was able to paint per pixel block..anyway to keep it at the normal scale and have photoshop adjust to it? hopefully that makes since. when i paint at a larger scale it lets me paint all over the blocks and never just fills the blocks in fully so it loses the effect of being blocky.