AuthorTopic: Flashback HD & The terrible truth of remakes  (Read 44036 times)

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Re: Flashback HD & The terrible truth of remakes

Reply #40 on: April 18, 2013, 11:16:46 pm
Hmm I just saw this :http://i.imgur.com/CYzFCL0.jpg

apparently its for a new 3DS zelda game, moddelled off of Link to the past, but using 3D graphics.

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Reply #41 on: April 19, 2013, 01:07:15 am
I was going to post that as well. Here's the gameplay trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNKg1lzeykY
I guess it's supposed to be a sequel to LttP.

I think the graphics are terrible. It looks like someone took the beautius pixels of the original and shred them through several photoshop filters, mainly blur. The pseduo 3D style seems to be popular these days. I get it, it's less labour intensive than traditional pixel art. Pixel art doesn't facilitate high res particularly well. I still think that if you're connecting something to a game as cherished as zelda 3, then it deserves to look revel in the medium. I think the 4 swords gamecube game really pulled the style off, that is pushing the pixels into something beyond the scope of pixels while still retaining the magic that made them marvelous to begin with. They were still psedo 3D but still looked like care, love and attention had been painted into the tiles. This looks like a knock-off.

Painted tiles are a style I am less opposed to. For example, the new Shadowrun Returns looks like a game that gives justice to the classic, rather than glossing over it to cash in on fan hype. Now, Shadowrun Returns also has the creator of the franchise at its helm, along with many others involved in making the originals, but then again so does Flashback, and look how well that's turning out. The sad reality is, is that some artists develop George Lucas syndrome and ruin the very works/masterpieces that catapulted them to where they are today.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #42 on: April 19, 2013, 02:14:33 am
How is that psuedo 3D? That's full 3D..

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #43 on: April 19, 2013, 11:56:58 am
pseudo-3D in that it's (mostly?) 2D gameplay with 3D models, just like e.g. Donkey Kong Returns.

It may be ages away from the quality of Minish Cap's pixel art, but imho, it's much better looking than the DS episodes.

Offline tyrannotorus

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: April 19, 2013, 08:40:49 pm
The most horriblest aspect of this Flashback HD abomination is its complete erasure of the art style that makes Flashback and Heart of an Alien unique, in favour of an art style so utterly generic I've mercifully already forgotten its existence.

There's no way that the lead artist sleeps at night. His hands are totally tied by the people writing his paycheck.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #45 on: April 19, 2013, 09:09:16 pm
in favour of an art style so utterly generic I've mercifully already forgotten its existence.
Yup. It's not even art any longer. It's virtual actors in a virtual world. Period. To some extent, it's a process that has started long ago with 3D games showing generic action mans as in Far Cry. Although I haven't played any of the games, the avatar just lacks any distinguishable feature, imvho -- no more than Bruce Willis would have in a red shirt.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #46 on: July 15, 2013, 03:55:11 pm
I just found this video where a Metroïd screenshot is temptatively converted into some HD render. I find it pretty disturbing that we don't see him/her *drawing* or *painting* in the process. He's mostly using stock pictures of material and overload them with highlights and shadow to populate the screen ...

With such a process, how can one offer the kind of uniformity that used to bring virtual reality to old-school games?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #47 on: July 15, 2013, 05:37:55 pm
Yes this looks flat and literal, quite a shame.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #48 on: July 15, 2013, 05:46:46 pm
yeah . . . hadn't see that yet, quite a find, quite a find . . .

It's not a game, though. Just fan art - an homage to one of the most classic NES moments ever beheld - The MOTHER BRAIN. Remember that moment?
I think it's great.  And that dude's PS skills are amazing. Look at him go.
"Disturbing"? Hehe, why?

More on-topic with this thread, though - I agree: this Flashback remake is pretty subpar, underwhelming and disappointing. How many classic 2D's must be desecrated in the name of monetization through "contemporary" remakes? HOW MANY
I think, in a 3D game, there's a more obvious sensation of computer-handled gameplay - procedural, automatic stuff, but in a 2D game, they feel more artistic and earnest because there's less obvious computer-handled elements, you're greeted with more "hand-crafted" content and you thus appreciate the dev's efforts more. (a rather flawed blanket statement, but you see where I'm going)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #49 on: July 15, 2013, 06:24:55 pm
Watched the whole video. Someone who is friends with the artist should tell them in a discrete way that light is not pure white and shadows are not pure black, it's the #1 thing that would help his art.