AuthorTopic: Request for old unused tilesets  (Read 13878 times)

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Re: Request for old unused tilesets

Reply #20 on: December 08, 2012, 03:57:31 pm
no problem, i'm curious though, which platforms are you developing for? sounds pretty specific.

Old, household devices I've bastardized for fun's sake, notably two different graphing calculators of different brands/models.

Offline Volter9

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: December 09, 2012, 12:16:39 am
no problem, i'm curious though, which platforms are you developing for? sounds pretty specific.

Mobile platforms such as iOS. I'm also using Cocos2d-iPhone with TMX maps.

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: April 26, 2013, 01:23:48 pm
Hellouuuuuu

i'm working on a new release and i realized i haven't really updated this post for any of the latest versions, so here's whats new since then:

I did several overhauls on the UI-part
Projects now can handle more than one map, changeable via a dropdown list
A startup dialog that handles saving/loading
Creating custom entities and triggers with arbitrary attributes, and renders them onto the map
Theme-able interface (two color themes!  :P)
Pressing and holding space invokes the tileset selector even when the side-panels are closed
Help/Hints
Photoshop-like key setup
!UNDO!
Performance optimizations
Experimental minimap

Here's a preview of the autotiler:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtauTcalDUo

The Website is in the making and will be up later today (hopefully) but for now links to the wiki entry
http://lup.wzl.vg
It still shows v0.8, but 0.9 will be released today, so it is ready for ludumdare, if anyone dares using it.

Here's the 0.9 preview if you're curious:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12237727/Software/LevelUpv0.9pre3.zip

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: April 26, 2013, 04:10:25 pm
I just upped the makeshift site:

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: April 26, 2013, 06:42:58 pm
A sample file would help. I created a bogus "tiles" bitmap and thus I could start the program, but there are many empty choices, it's not clear what I should do with them.
From the video, the autotiler looks great. I imagine that it takes a bit of time to set up, but when there are many maps to draw, it's a real lifesaver.

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: April 26, 2013, 07:25:29 pm
yeah i'll provide a sample project with the release later on, thanks for mentioning ;)
The autotiler is pretty quickly setup. i wanted to show it in the video, but it didn't capture the dialog window.

The initial project creation is a bit wonky still, and i'm looking for a way to make it more accessible.
What empty choices are you referring to?

Thanks for testing :)

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: April 26, 2013, 09:55:38 pm
By "empty choices", I mean all those dropdown lists when you start a new project : Tilematrix, Tileset (Just 1 entry, didn't find if it was possible or meaningful to have several), Textures, etc.
Some remarks, in random order :
A new map has zero layer by default, seemed odd.
Adding layer by clicking under the layer list seems good idea at first, but easy to click by mistake.
Zooming by mouse wheel works, but The 'clicked place' is then wrongly detected.
I didn't find how to pan (scroll) the map.
I didn't find how/if map dimensions can be set; I know some people love infinite canvas but game programmers/designers will probably want to see sizes and coordinates. 
Kudos on implementing multiple maps that rely on the same tileset, it's something that I'll never be able to do in Grafx2, and it's enough to justify a standalone editor (and a specific 'project' file format that holds the entire colection of maps)
When autotiler is empty, exceptions happen.
I didn't find the Undo
On buttons, tooltips would be more helpful than the 'Info' lines.

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: April 26, 2013, 10:49:06 pm
I just upped v0.9 on the site. Here's a quick changelog:

-Ui overhaul, got rid of most of the clutter
-Added the AutoTiler tool
-Added the minimap (experimental)
-Added a photoshop-like action history (in the Overseer tab)
-Added a bunch of Tip-of-the-Day messages so you don't get lost (in the Project tab)

Home
Download

Thanks yrizoud for mentioning the broken zoom. It never was meant to be in the release. It requires some work, as you figured, and is currently just broken. So I had to fix the release just minutes after it went up  :crazy:

A new map has zero layer by default, seemed odd.
I usually use the same project again and again when testing something so i never created any new maps, so thanks for realizing, i'll see to fix it.

Adding layer by clicking under the layer list seems good idea at first, but easy to click by mistake.
True. I'll need to figure out how to add/remove/modify a given object. This is true for the layers, aswell as triggers, maps, entities, textures etc. I need a unified solution for it.

I didn't find how to pan (scroll) the map.
Holding the middle mousebutton/wheel. It always worked well enough for me, but i can see how it is not necessarily intuitive towards new users. I probably should add the arrowkeys to have a panning behavior.

I didn't find how/if map dimensions can be set; I know some people love infinite canvas but game programmers/designers will probably want to see sizes and coordinates.
Map dimensions are infinite. I didn't see a reason to arbitrarily restrict it, but if you'd reckon that it should be an option i'll add it. Although the exported format is all quantitized to sane coordinates (starting 0|0 topleft, no matter where you start on the canvas)

When autotiler is empty, exceptions happen.
This is fixed in 0.9. If the AutoTiler is incomplete you'll be thrown a warning (in the info location on top), but it will still function (even if not coherently).

I didn't find the Undo
It is either CTRL+Z or you can go to the Overseer tab (since 0.9) for the undo-history.

On buttons, tooltips would be more helpful than the 'Info' lines.
Yeah i suppose you have a point there.

Also, don't be shy and use the Tips-of-the-Day button in the Project Tab, there's a good couple hints in there.

Thanks for the elaboration. I'll try to fix what i can in the next release :)

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: April 27, 2013, 11:48:19 am
Just uploaded a hotfix to annihilate some crashes and added a few tiny features:

Quote from: Changes in 0.9.1
-Creating a new map also creates a new Layer
-Fixed an error with the minimap that results in a crash
-Fixed crashing when removing the only layer
-Added arrow-key controls to maneuver the map