AuthorTopic: Feature 09 - Autumn Tileset WIP - Forest tileset  (Read 134497 times)

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Re: Autumn Tileset WIP - Struggling with Rock texture

Reply #130 on: November 03, 2012, 12:49:30 pm
I started to make another cliff and i wantend to make more cartoony cliff with less details and i really think this style fith pretty well with my others tileset and im pretty happy with the result.. Its still wip but almost done.

What you  guys think?

This how i made it.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 01:13:51 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline NordicSoul

• View Profile

Reply #131 on: November 03, 2012, 04:15:08 pm
Looks pretty good to me :) I would also try to change the trunks of the trees... look too much like an octopus-shaped thing If u know what I mean... Besides that, I think u are heading into a pretty good direction! :)

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #132 on: November 03, 2012, 04:35:30 pm
I think it looks ltill not very cliff like. As I already mentioned you should use more verticality to get a feeling for height. Yours also looks pretty flat - it's lacking something in style compared to your other stuff.

Quick and sloppy sketch how it could look - tiling is off and not gird-fitting, but I just wanted to show you "how" a longer row could work:

"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #133 on: November 03, 2012, 10:44:39 pm
I think it looks ltill not very cliff like. As I already mentioned you should use more verticality to get a feeling for height. Yours also looks pretty flat - it's lacking something in style compared to your other stuff.

Quick and sloppy sketch how it could look - tiling is off and not gird-fitting, but I just wanted to show you "how" a longer row could work:

I know what you mean but  i feel like a this edit looks unnatural.. Its seems like those are more like a  pile of rocks stick in the ground than cliff to me...  Correct me if im wrong.  I should make more  for verticality to get a feeling for height like you said.. Maybe if i make bigger and higher rock works?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 10:46:30 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #134 on: November 03, 2012, 11:36:41 pm
If you ask me you have a more graphical than a naturalistic approach. Maybe it changed now as you are using Sword of Mana styled grass, but all in all your style works with pretty simple forms.

For example: egg shaped trees, sphere shaped bushes

A cliff in a RPG is always a unnatural thing, but it's really easy to compensate with the graphical style like the one which you used with your earlier versions. Why don't use rockpiles with a clear form and a clear impression of height, when the roots of your trees won't fix it in the ground. Also how your leaves are lying directly under the trees seems more stylized than naturalistic, but OK.

Facet and Ptoing already posted great references.

You should aim for one direction and keep this direction througout the whole game - otherwise you will end up with a bunch of pieces with the same colors and which looks at it own pretty good but built together they have a pretty different graphical appeareance - you also have this problem now if you look closer.

To be honest it's pretty obvious that you started with a very minimalistic approach and tried to add more details. If you directly compare the foliage of your bush and your trees I see 2 completely different styles. The bush lives from less colors and clear clusters, while the foliage lives from it's gradient and the strong impression of light. If you count the grass in, we have a third style which works with positive and negative shilouettes.  The way you made the shadow of the rocks would be the fourth approach in this piece - if you compare it to the shadow of the trees it looks completely different and there are some other minor discrepancies as well.

For ideas always gether some refs:

All of them have a pretty different approach. Can you imagine any of them with your graphics?

the best thing you can do atm is to choose your exact artistical direction - this will heavily affect the way of the development.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 11:41:01 pm by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #135 on: November 04, 2012, 12:55:50 am
If you ask me you have a more graphical than a naturalistic approach. Maybe it changed now as you are using Sword of Mana styled grass,

I agree with you but its seems that Sword of mana does have same ghrapichal approach as I. Some of tiles have a naturalistic approach and some are graphical.

A cliff in a RPG is always a unnatural thing, but it's really easy to compensate with the graphical style like the one which you used with your earlier versions. Why don't use rockpiles with a clear form and a clear impression of height, when the roots of your trees won't fix it in the ground. Also how your leaves are lying directly under the trees seems more stylized than naturalistic, but OK.

If i make super hyper cool graphical style tiles without nature many people is going to criticize my tiles even if they are pretty nice. What i should to make natural or unatural tiles? Or both of them???

Also how your leaves are lying directly under the trees seems more stylized than naturalistic, but OK.

Autumn trees drop their leafes under the tree and some of them fly with a wind and  I tried  to make bunch of leaves under the tree. Its may seems like stylized but i tried to make them more natural.

You should aim for one direction and keep this direction througout the whole game - otherwise you will end up with a bunch of pieces with the same colors and which looks at it own pretty good but built together they have a pretty different graphical appeareance - you also have this problem now if you look closer.

To be honest it's pretty obvious that you started with a very minimalistic approach and tried to add more details. If you directly compare the foliage of your bush and your trees I see 2 completely different styles. The bush lives from less colors and clear clusters, while the foliage lives from it's gradient and the strong impression of light. If you count the grass in, we have a third style which works with positive and negative shilouettes.  The way you made the shadow of the rocks would be the fourth approach in this piece - if you compare it to the shadow of the trees it looks completely different and there are some other minor discrepancies as well.

The reason i didint change them early with same style was that they didint bother me but now i can see the problem here clearly.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 12:58:18 am by Beetleking22 »

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #136 on: November 04, 2012, 05:37:21 pm
I really hated my old autumn color scheme, so I wanted more pastel and brigh look for my tileset... Result.  :huh:  I also made new tree but they are truly unfinished..

« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 09:56:44 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline NordicSoul

• View Profile

Reply #137 on: November 04, 2012, 06:17:07 pm
palette looks...good o.O I would avoid to have "chunky" trees, go for more random "piles" of leaves

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #138 on: November 04, 2012, 06:20:38 pm
palette looks...good o.O I would avoid to have "chunky" trees, go for more random "piles" of leaves

Yeah im going to make more variety for leaves but thank you im pretty glad you liked my new palettes.

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #139 on: November 08, 2012, 09:49:49 am
Screw new color  >:( I made another cliff and i have feeling that i'm going to right direction. I changed little bit of grass too color.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 07:31:49 pm by Beetleking22 »