AuthorTopic: Feature 09 - Autumn Tileset WIP - Forest tileset  (Read 135473 times)

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Re: Autumn Tileset WIP - Struggling with Rock texture

Reply #80 on: October 01, 2012, 11:41:14 am
That already is worlds better. Try and pull some of the highlights into the surfaces a bit, not just single pixel razor highlights.

And vary the top and bottom of the tile some.

Im going to try now  put more highlight into the surface... I think it looks also more better if i make more fizzures.

Better?

No double posts please. Merged. - Crow

« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 04:19:53 pm by Crow »

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #81 on: October 01, 2012, 05:57:22 pm
The orientation of things seems all over the place. I really can't tell if I'm looking at a wall, floor or a mix of both here.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #82 on: October 01, 2012, 06:21:54 pm
The orientation of things seems all over the place. I really can't tell if I'm looking at a wall, floor or a mix of both here.

It is one of wall texture thats why its looks like a floor/wall now... When i make corners and foliage it is going to look more like rock..

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35725.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #83 on: October 01, 2012, 06:35:03 pm
Thing is there is something called gravity so the rocks wouldn't have completely random orientations. The forces apply differently in the vertical and the horizontal axis and too extreme rock structures will just break down.

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #84 on: October 01, 2012, 07:30:34 pm
Its going to look like this..

Offline TheMonsterAtlas

• View Profile

Reply #85 on: October 01, 2012, 11:34:02 pm
Another thing to think about is that it doesn't look like the side of a cliff, it looks like a pile of rocks. With ptoing's example, they aren't individual rocks, they are ledges created from erosion/people punching the cliff side because they smell like booty cheeks.

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #86 on: October 02, 2012, 06:31:32 am
So is there something wrong? I did not understand well but I have seen in a lot snes game rocks with pile of rocks.. Example Secret of mana, Terranigma...

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #87 on: October 02, 2012, 07:35:54 am
Imho, the new version is indeed better, but I think you overdid the cracks. Having them on almost every stone is a bit extreme, and you used random directions, too.

So is there something wrong? I did not understand well but I have seen in a lot snes game rocks with pile of rocks.. Example Secret of mana, Terranigma...
Many of those SNES games were made in a rush, when you listen to their own creators. You can indeed gain the feel of "a strong, coherent barrier (a cliff) if you reinforce one major force that has been applied almost uniformly to all the rocks.

Imho, this rock texture could do well in most terrains, but if you're going for a level "à la Mt. Tamaranch", they will not work. Rationale is that, on a regular terrain with small (<6m) cliffs, noone would be surprised if rocks have piled up following the slope. In a mountain, the rocks that remain are supposed to be firmly connected with the core of the mountain.

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #88 on: October 02, 2012, 09:45:51 am
Imho, the new version is indeed better, but I think you overdid the cracks. Having them on almost every stone is a bit extreme, and you used random directions, too.

Yeah I agree.. There is too much cracks but random directions is fine because it does not matter where you put these cracks and I really think i must  also lower the constrast.. Imo it is too bright..

Imho, this rock texture could do well in most terrains, but if you're going for a level "à la Mt. Tamaranch", they will not work. Rationale is that, on a regular terrain with small (<6m) cliffs, noone would be surprised if rocks have piled up following the slope. In a mountain, the rocks that remain are supposed to be firmly connected with the core of the mountain.

Is this Mt.tamaranch level? Its seems like its work even with these rocks..

http://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/SuperNES/SecretOfMana-LoftyMountains.png
http://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/SuperNES/Terranigma-Loire-EastSub-Area.png
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 09:57:15 am by Beetleking22 »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #89 on: October 02, 2012, 04:20:42 pm
if you look at the bottom half, of this lofty mountain map, it has the "Mt Tamarrach" layout, with large vertical walls. You will note that chunks of rocks here are aligned in one direction (vertical), and the base of each "spike" could be going further down "behind" the "lower" spikes.

E.g. imho, working from gives it more a "cliff" look.

random directions is fine because it does not matter where you put these cracks
That's true for random pile of rocks that had cracks from random reasons.
If instead you want to render a cliff -- a large part of rock that for some reason had been extruded from the ground by some geological process -- then the rocks are initially part of the same strata, cristals are laid out along one major direction, and the eroding force (wind, sand, water, mana ...) is likely to blow along one major direction, exploiting inherent weakness of the cristals to fracture the structures, hence lower diversity in the cracks orientation.

Now, of course, this only make sense if you aim for that type of terrain.