AuthorTopic: Nature Turfs  (Read 9043 times)

Offline Southend_boi

• View Profile

Nature Turfs

on: August 15, 2012, 06:54:20 am

Threw a base im working on in there as well... personally i dont like the grass turfs and feel i can improve them or make something better they just dont look the way i want them to hopefully someone can tell me where i went wrong. The dirt turfs was just a quickie one 5x5 square copy and paste and repeat.

Currently im making sand, a tree and uhhh... more dirt i guess. first attempts at a tree and sand.

oh base animation aswell, i have no animation skills :(

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Re: Nature Turfs

Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 09:01:39 am
I think the grass is fine. maybe it has too much contrast, considering that the character will walk over it.

for sand I usually do something like this. Not with so much contrast, but some sort of wavy texture at 45º +/-

its more distinct from yellow dirt, because dirt doesn't usually have those waves, which are characteristic of a material that suffers from the wind blowing.
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 05:58:06 pm
It's all really noisy. Looks good, but there's lots and lots and lots of detail, probably too much for ground tiles. A full mockup might show that better, but either way it helps to keep the level of detail low.

Offline Southend_boi

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 02:02:14 am

Made a new water, grass and got around to making the sand.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 08:04:36 am by Southend_boi »

Offline Ürch

• I live in dreaming through the hours
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 07:26:38 am
That sand... it looks like pasta...

Offline Southend_boi

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 08:14:44 am
That sand... it looks like pasta...
now that i look at it.... i guess back to the drawing board with sand XD

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 11:52:19 am
I think you are pushing the contrast a bit too much.
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 08:53:28 am
I agree the contrast is quite harsh, and you will have player characters on it, generally speaking characters are usually more contrasting than the environment, the environment should be more passive and subdued in comparison, and if you have too much detail especially coupled with contrastingly detailed it mightn't work, also you could save time rendering that amount of detail, floors should be relatively neutral, walls and props you can usually get away with depicting them quite detailed

really quick edit brightening the dark tone and removing colours from the sand I think 3 tones is plenty, and the contrast shouldn't be too harsh, and a suggestion of how I'd approach sand (it's not tilable though, just a general suggestion)

those trees look rather nice, the twisted trunk especially, if you choose to do dark outlines like that be sure to do the same consistently across other props and objects.

Offline TheMonsterAtlas

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 01:06:33 am
Yeah, Grimsane made everything look better. With first versions of the turfs they were extremely noisy. The sand also looks more like ribbons than waves of sand. The grass looks good but the water is really active.

Cut down on the contrasts to reduce the noise in the dirt tileset in order to better fit the anime Naruto base you are using.

Offline Southend_boi

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 02:30:41 am
Yeah, Grimsane made everything look better. With first versions of the turfs they were extremely noisy. The sand also looks more like ribbons than waves of sand. The grass looks good but the water is really active.

Cut down on the contrasts to reduce the noise in the dirt tileset in order to better fit the anime Naruto base you are using.
i dont need feedback from you... nor do i care what you have to say. Don't bash my art on one forums and then try to to give me advice or even talk about my art in another.

you see thats what we call being 2faced, how about you be yourself XLR8ED and say my art is ass ? nothings holding you back from doing it on naruto goa forums so why change it up because your on pixelation ?