AuthorTopic: Beyblade grass troubles :( help!  (Read 3633 times)

Offline BetaMan12

• Never Quit
    • View Profile

Beyblade grass troubles :( help!

on: June 28, 2012, 04:51:19 am

I also included the water, please someone help

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Re: Beyblade grass troubles :( help!

Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 07:28:35 am
I think you are approaching the colours entirely backwardly in regard to the grass, it should be bright blades of grass on dark

however it is difficult to give further feedback because we do not know exactly what style you are trying to achieve, and when flipping the colours like this

and brightening the almost invisible bright shade on the water it's not too bad, even with the loose less than masterful clustering it still reads like grass at 1x, whereas before hand it didn't

and games with simplified graphics have done water animations similarly, just adding an aa tone to the highlights and simply flipping horizontally for a 2nd frame will get you this:

if you want to achieve something specific you should describe what or state which games you are trying to emulate, but at 1x I think it actually reads suprisingly okay.

but tileability? not so good:

but it is quite easy to fill with a similar style as you've established and it tiles reasonably well
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 07:31:04 am by Grimsane »

Offline BetaMan12

• Never Quit
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 02:19:44 pm
I am trying to achive my grass to look like this

Offline JonasO

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 01:24:31 am
I am trying to achive my grass to look like this

Try to get those colors first, then draw with them (he has 4 colors, you have 2 - no wonder it's hard to reproduce). Also your tiles are faaaaaar to small to emulate this sort of grass: This grass lives from single, large clouds of darker leaves, while single tiles like yours can only create small-environment repetition.

Also look at the shape of these clouds and how they grow.

If you ask me, just paint the grass of that scene on a big canvas until it looks right; Then you can try to make it smaller (by drawing it again). You should learn how this grass feels, the spirit of this grass, then you can take up that spirit and draw it on a somewhat smaller canvas. But if you go too small (like you possibly must), no chance. It's just not the right grass for that.

Offline Cupcake

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 05:41:36 am
Like JonasO has already said, I don't think you can really get that same style of grass down into a single tile. There's really nothing wrong with that, it just makes it a little more complex to make the maps!

So the whole grass effect they have going there really relies on using a single midtone as the majority of the "pattern". When in use you'll want that color to compose most of the grassy area as well.

To demonstrate, I made four quick tiles:

One flat midtone tile, one detailed single-tile, and two tiles meant to be used side by side.
Here they are in use (I think I cheated a bit and flipped some of them horizontally):

And taking it a further (cheating) step forward, I thought it could look better but didn't feel like making any more proper tiles for this so I went ahead and drew in some more variety on top of the previous example.

Just for fun I also did some stone path tiles to see how they'd look with this - again, I kind of cheated and drew stuff on top, so these aren't really proper tiles: