AuthorTopic: GR#105 - Archer - Sideview Animation  (Read 11724 times)

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

GR#105 - Archer - Sideview Animation

on: June 08, 2012, 03:08:23 pm

The perspective on the crouched shooting animation is ridiculous. I have no clue how to draw a horizontal bow at this angle :/

This is what I have so far.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 06:39:52 am by slym »

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Re: Desert Characters

Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 05:43:19 am
I like the feel of these guys a lot. A few quick points though:

1) The coyote seems a little too hunched over, and his fur reads almost like spikes toward his back. He also looks pretty sad, when his projecting organs would imply he would be more desperate/in pain.

2) A lot of your pixels seem to be wide- or tall- pixels. While that's a stylistic choice, it doesn't seem to be uniform enough right now, and is more distracting than anything. At first glance it almost appears to be mixed resolution as a result.
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline mistirbc

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 06:04:33 am
The shadding of the rocks in the background I think is my favorite part. All of the characters look really good. Shadding style is really classic and professional looking.

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 04:04:01 am
Thanks guys!

Animations I'm working on:

Having difficulty figuring out how to attempt a roll animation....
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 09:18:04 pm by slym »

Offline imnumberfour

• View Profile

Re: Desert Character Animations

Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 09:21:11 pm
Loving all you tiles and sprites so far! Not much crits on the animations because I have never attempted animating myself, however I think the trools looks good so far, however the crouching shot looks really awkward; I cant see myself having my arms like that. One last thing, you seem to love archery!

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 01:55:41 pm
if it is for a side on game, having a slightly forward perspective arrow shots wouldn't make much sense.
something along the lines of this quick edit, doing it at a 45 degree angle would be a more practical approach if in game has some form of multi-directional arrow shooting mechanic

you'll need to get your pose right and position the bow and arms correctly, but that's what I'd suggest. crouching will be difficult though, see if you can animate a straight ahead arrow shot from the crouching position, if you can't then I'd advice against tackling it unless you think you can figure out how to make it work at that res.

Really really dig your style :y: the animations you have done so far look pretty effective. (although opening them up there are empty 0ms frames all over the place  ???)

and if you are doing multi-directional shooting I'd recommend between 6 to 8 atleast 3 per facing direction, and the possibility of Up and Down. if you have flying enemies UP is a good idea, and 8 wouldn't be necessary unless you have the ability to shoot down through platforms ie.

Offline Sohei

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 02:32:58 pm
I thought that crouch position deforms real proportions and made some adjustments.
Old             New

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 03:49:16 pm
Ive longed for this to continue :D

Looks really good. A few things I would adjust is;

1. when he rolls, he should stretch his arms out before he rolls to get the power to go forward.
2. When he shoots the arrow, it would look good to get some more vibration to the bow when the arrow is shot. Meaning the bow should bounce a bit forward when its been back. Right now it's a little to hard.
3. the angle of the bow when he's crouched. The angle you got now looks good, you could just add one more frame when it's entierly horizontal, though what ive seen you still tilt the bow a bit when you shoot like that (like you have done)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 07:52:51 pm
Ever thought at using Flashback/reminiscence sprite as a reference for that crouch-and-roll animation ?

Offline Adam

• Some everyday Robin Hood guy.
    • View Profile
    • Ádámé - mostly hungarian

Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 02:01:31 pm
Lovely great sprites. Not much crit about the sprites themselves. Just a small one on the stance: I was at an archery training some weeks ago, and my trainer repeatedly warned me not to lean backward as your first guy does. Rather forward. I know it enhances the pulling animation, it looks probably better your way, just pointing out.
Nice. Now do the whole thing with the EGA palette!