AuthorTopic: [HELP WANTED] Pixelation 'RPG Perspective' Tutorial Project!  (Read 45738 times)

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile
    • Doctor Who - Retro Sprite Gallery
Cyangmou: love all around then

Also wasn't Qbert the first isometric game?

Possibly.  I don't think I've ever played it yet I do have memories of receiving the board game version as a present one christmas when I was a kid.  Odd for me to have played a board game version of a video game but not the actual video game itself.
NES, Amiga & Amstrad CPC inspired
I know nothing about pixel art
http://carnivac.tumblr.com/

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage
okay, I took all your suggestions into account carnivac, should be OK now.
I also made another part - with a bit from my personal knowledge treasure.

links: (if the images don't work)

Link Part 1

« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 05:53:05 pm by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio
@ the end of pt.1, second to last paragraph, first sentence, it should be 'saves' instead of 'safes' :D

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Damn Cyangmou. That's one hell of a tutorial.

Offline Ninjus

• View Profile
I really want to thank you! You have helped me tremendously with your tutorials and gave me a push to continue doing pixel art. ;D

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile
That tutorial is just...  :y: :y: :y: :y: :y: :y: :y:
Wow. You certainly covered everything there, Cyangmou. :)
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage
That tutorial is just...  :y: :y: :y: :y: :y: :y: :y:
Wow. You certainly covered everything there, Cyangmou. :)

nah I only covered the all the things I started to talk about atm. There is much more to mention which is also quite important - especially for beginners.

I widened the cube tutorial a bit, and made it fitting for this tutorial here. Also added a second construction method and some notes about resolution.

Ahh and right if you find some spelling mistakes or grammar mistakes, just point them out. I'll remove the mistake in the first part soon.
I also saw that the last paragraphs of the 2nd part have some mistakes in it. I will also make there some changes.

here part 3 - the cube/box part. see post below

Ah and yeah, it's only a tut about perspective, because of that I won't do the step by step parts for spriting something in detail.
I also can't promise that all the examples I bring will be completely polished to the end. Althoug I have some (maybe enough) stuff from some my game projects which I'll use for demonstration.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 05:53:40 pm by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile
nice ;D especially @Cyangmou's rigorous tutorial efforts

I was going to put together some reference sheets for dimetric and trimetric ISO approaches, principles and practices.

have this at the moment and put this together to help a friend might as well post it here, more of a rough guideline to 2 major methods of Isometric construction one being an offset style system where you have alternating offset rows.
I'm more used to using offsets personally. but I know alot of people are far more comfortable with tiles, you just end up with a bigger tileset and more to and fro'ing with different tiles.

I can elaborate on the meaning of this diagrammatic if anyone asks but should be self explanatory. and this one is dimetric 2pixel step (26.565°) which is most common, and I'll probably add another for trimetric later, Fallout 1&2 have the most notable usage of trimetric projection.

also it should be noted there is no real universal approach to isometry only things that have been proven to work and not work and more efficient ways of doing it, I think there was an interview I read online some time ago from they guys who did the original X-Com about their approach and how they overcame some problems with isometric (it was offset, also it gets more complicated when you do multiple floors etc) if I manage to find it, I'll link it here.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
I'm extremely inexperienced with tiles.
A couple weeks ago I thought I'd give it a shot.

Something I noticed is going up a half step gives more visual difference in height, because of overlap, than going up a full step:

I was curious what FFTactics does, and they also use a half step:

Thanks again Cyangmou!
Awesome Posts!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 05:59:09 pm by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage
@grimsane: I don't really understand why you show how it doesn't work instead you are showing how it would work right. it's for tutorials always the better way to show how something work. If inexperienced people aren't really careful with a tutorial they are getting pretty different results, although thaey are copying it from you. If you don't know much about a theme it's better to get a right example in your mind instead of a wrong one.

@PP: yes the iso thing you are pointing out is true. although you can use a whole step to and create visual difference. it's all about the tiles edges. I think Final Fantasy Tactics uses half steps because the chars are also able to jump. Lots of isometric games have a flat world just with cliffs (you can't climb them up). The half steps in FFT also heavily influence the gameplay (movement, backing...). Also all the attack animations would look odd if they'd have used a whole steps. over and over. Although there are some whole steps on each map.

let's continue with this:

part4 is WIP
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 05:30:12 pm by Cyangmou »

Dev-Art
Twitter