AuthorTopic: [HELP WANTED] Pixelation 'RPG Perspective' Tutorial Project!  (Read 45762 times)

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Re: [HELP WANTED] Pixelation 'RPG Perspective' Tutorial Project!

Reply #40 on: September 26, 2012, 07:07:37 pm
Had time to create another part.

New material about how to draw perspectively correct cylinders for rpg graphics, illustrated with 11 diagrams.

This time I use an slightly enhanced design and it's all about a very technical content. Also some knowings of maths don't hurt. Examples will follow in the next part, because otherwise it'd have been too long.

my my, forgot to add the most important thing   :lol: ... part 4

« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 10:28:38 pm by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline numlock

• View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #41 on: September 30, 2012, 04:15:40 pm
are you going to make tutorials about 2d platformer tilesets?

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #42 on: October 01, 2012, 02:58:45 am
are you going to make tutorials about 2d platformer tilesets?
IMO much of that overlaps with RPG perspective stuff. Some kind of isometric is common.. IMO the slanted look (where the front of the blocks are flat and the backs slope -- cf. the later Commander Keens, Prince of Persia) is the better looking 'flavour' but takes more work and tiles.

OTOH, I'd really be interested to see how the perspective is set up in one of Henk's games (Flink, Lomax) because the environments always have such a powerful sense of realness (at the same time as being, yknow, obviously.. not). I'm hoping the answer is more broadly applicable than 'just use more tiles, and layer them more.'
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #43 on: October 01, 2012, 11:34:30 am
IMO the slanted look (where the front of the blocks are flat and the backs slope -- cf. the later Commander Keens, Prince of Persia) is the better looking 'flavour' but takes more work and tiles.

There's one major drawback with such perspective, unfortunately: it prevents you from making believable parallax scrolling. If that happens to be a feature you desire, you'll have to opt for another approach.