AuthorTopic: GR#081 - You Can Design a Kindergarten's Bathroom Pixel Art  (Read 50226 times)

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Re: You Can Design a Kindergarten's Bathroom Pixel Art™

Reply #20 on: October 30, 2011, 02:28:20 am
^Well, bloodfart (I feel fifteen years younger even typing that = = ) is technically a forum member too, even if he only joined for help with this project, so I don't see the harm in him contributing to the art along with whoever else wants to help out. I mean, there are plenty of walls left, hahah. =)

And his sprite art is pretty cute, anyway. Looks like something that belongs in a kindergarten mural, so it fits perfectly.

Offline Bloodfart

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: October 30, 2011, 05:43:13 am
^Well, bloodfart (I feel fifteen years younger even typing that = = ) is technically a forum member too, even if he only joined for help with this project, so I don't see the harm in him contributing to the art along with whoever else wants to help out. I mean, there are plenty of walls left, hahah. =)

And his sprite art is pretty cute, anyway. Looks like something that belongs in a kindergarten mural, so it fits perfectly.

Thanks for the compliment, though I am a total amateur at pixel art; i've only done it a few times before; mostly in Minecraft more than a year ago.

Another way I'd like to explain my idea for these bathrooms is like a sketchbook. When I did sketches I'd let friends and people I'd meet draw anything they want inside. Without any preplanning the books would end up becoming an interesting collection of random pieces. This is similar to how I envision the walls becoming.

At any rate, I will be pixeling myself for fun and to see what comes out of it. If other people produce better work I will choose the better over my own; though of course I'd like something I made in here.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: October 30, 2011, 10:29:56 am
I think understanding our color options would be very advantageous right now.

If you're unable to get a full list and color example/sample of some sort of all available colors, post the brand(s) available at your tile place and we can perhaps access the info online. This will most likely require a custom order, which hopefully won't cost more than if the tile place has it all in stock, in-store. They differ, so I can't say.

Once we have a good idea of the palette I'll create the master palette and post it here.

Offline Bloodfart

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: October 30, 2011, 01:38:16 pm
The palette is the tileset colours that i posted.

Do you want a labeling system for each colour so we can keep accurate count?

I can't guarantee the precise shade of colours but we can approximate closely enough i think.

At the shop i noted all the colours to make sure we werent missing anything important and i'd just label them as <colour> followed by D for dark, L for light, and if a third shade vD for very dark, vL for very light. This is pretty easy for anyone else to apply and likely match up with someone else.

We can mark the colours as follows:

D = Dark   vD = Very Dark
L = light   vL  = Very Light

Yellow D, L

Red D, L

White

Green vD, D, L

Black

Grey D, L

Purple D, L, vL

Pink D, L

Brown D, L, vL

Blue D, L, vL

Orange D, L

Aqua/greenblue D, L
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 01:42:04 pm by Bloodfart »

Offline Bloodfart

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 08:32:16 am
Well it is time now to start ordering tiles and telling the workers what to do.

My wife is meeting with the worker's leader but I think that I can delay the tiling a bit if I can convince them to do the main flooring, painting, wallpaper, and trim first.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: October 31, 2011, 10:51:18 am
Yikes! Really? Ok! Yeah, have them do other stuff first. Typically the tile can be done last.

*starts doing something!*

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: October 31, 2011, 12:02:43 pm
Your palette organization is incredibly confusing (I'm hard to live with, I know). PA simply organizes indexes, or unique palette colors, with a number; every color has a number.

Here's a nice visual palette organization. Notice #6 is repeated twice. I determined precise RBG's of all colors by simply doing an average blur of a 20px X 20px area of each unique tile:

Here's the pal itself, organized by luminosity, the following image is already indexed with all unique pal colors:

Toss it into your gfx program and git going, people! Haven't you ever heard of deadlines!

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: October 31, 2011, 03:42:02 pm
Here's a quick submission. Tentative pixels scrambled together to get the ball rolling.

CLICK IMAGE TO ZOOM IN

With tile, I think simple iconic patterns and objects will work best. Little or no AA.

Notice the examples I made can easily be tiled across walls, over corners, etc.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #28 on: October 31, 2011, 07:15:57 pm
Wow... Found some time, there were some unexpected things during the weekend, however I made now some designs.
I tried to keep it as simple and clean as possible. Also tried to made the walls very bright, it's a bath room so bright walls are a must-have (it looks cleaner). I Used mathias's palette (just changed 1 green tone a bit).
Dino and fish can also be changed by 2 tiles in the width to fit for several walls. It's also possible to use only parts of the city panoramaa, kept it in the size of the biggest wall. I Hope there is at least one design which will be used =)

« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 07:43:20 pm by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: October 31, 2011, 07:20:51 pm
These are nice!