AuthorTopic: Somewhat abstract swirly face  (Read 2986 times)

Offline xio

• Will crit for food.
    • View Profile

Somewhat abstract swirly face

on: May 23, 2006, 07:54:54 pm
I worked on this for a couple of days. I've been studying pixel art from other artists, and I feel like I am getting better. I would love to hear any thoughts on this peice.

Progress animation.

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Re: Somewhat abstract swirly face

Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 02:18:05 am
xio!! :D

This is interesting. Different. I like different. :)

Dithering in the face but no dithering in the nose? I guess it's because there is no room to dither there, though, so whatever. But other than the nose, I don't see any reason for switching between dithering and flat shading. It doesn't look really bad either, so maybe it's a sekret teknik or something.

Design wise, I would go ahead and make the entire thing flow more in the same direction.

It's really cool, by the way.

Offline xio

• Will crit for food.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 08:25:37 pm
People still remember me? Thanks Crazy Asian Gamer. I'll play around with the dithering some more and see what happens. Yeah, it would probably look really cool if it flowed more.

I'm still looking for feedback on the background. I guess I forgot to mention that the first time. I think it might look better with a different color, but I've played around with it, and I can't get it right. Any other feedback is also great. 

Offline Locrian

• View Profile
    • BURHTUN: online portfolio

Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 01:12:32 am
I like this.  So much that you've made me make an edit.  First time I've "pixeled" in a while... if you can call what I've done to it pixeling.  Here is maybe how I would take it:

very fast brain farting.

1) I think it is too monotone, so I added the light blue (rather poorly but you get the idea), made one face-half a different color scheme than the other half, and put some green in background... which I could have incorporated elsewhere in the image if I were spending time with this.

2) I think its neat to seperate the halves of the face more.  So I did. 

3) Perfect dither goes against the feeling of this image.  More creative color mixing would be nice.

4) Background doesn't have to have anything concrete.  I put blobs of color.

Just some ideas. 

« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 01:16:45 am by Locrian »