AuthorTopic: GR#076 - Bird Design & Animation  (Read 20002 times)

Offline Markus

• View Profile

Re: I'm practicing animation. WIPs and C&C!

Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 06:40:00 pm
I have to say that I prefer Elk's more realistic version over Charlie's comicy one  :y: Both of them look nice, though.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #21 on: November 03, 2011, 07:15:31 pm
I'd like to see a mix of the two :D

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 07:20:50 pm
To clarify... my post is no critique to Charlietons work, I respect Charlieton as fellow artist.

What I am here for, is when people post their works, I contribute my information in form of art to showcase how I would do it, to open up new possibilities.

No need to defend my standpoint. Selfexplanationary.
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 11:24:44 pm
The purpose of this particular piece is to train myself in doing animations. As such, I will for starters stick to handling easier, less realisticly shaped objects, such as my 'lil bird. While I enjoy hearing that you prefer my style for this piece over Elks, jams, it's not my topic for this thread. You're all free to keep on discussing "symbolic/cartoony" versus "realistic" styles if you want to, but you don't have to "worry" (if you were) that I will sway in my decision for the style of this piece. As stated, it's for practice, and for my level of experience, "cartoony" is what I'm going to stick with.  :-[

Thanks for your interpretation of my art piece, Elk! It did show me new possibilities, and it's fun to know that I could inspire someone to create. :)
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: November 04, 2011, 12:50:03 am
One thing you should definitely take from Elk's is the wing. Yours right now looks more like another section of the body rather than its own form.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: November 04, 2011, 12:55:27 am
Of all the posts that contradict critique I've read on Pixelation that was by far the strangest. By virtue that you like Charlieton's version more I can understand feeling the compulsion to post, but other than that my mind boggles.
What, exactly, was strange about my post? I felt that Charlieton's piece was a bit more appealing than Elks, and explained why. Not sure how you'd be confused by that...glad my post was one of the "******est" you've ever read on here, though. Even if "strangest" is a dubious honor, heheh.

@Charlieton: Yes, the main reason I posted was to provide feedback stating that I thought your style had merits, too. A lot of artists will take any critique thrown at them and completely change their piece for no reason, even if it didn't need changing. I didn't think your piece needed much change, so I figured I'd stop in to let you know, hahah.

What I am here for, is when people post their works, I contribute my information in form of art to showcase how I would do it, to open up new possibilities.
And of course, that's awesome of you. I appreciate you posting alternate versions of drawings for people, as I'm sure everyone else does. Because, even if I did like Charlieton's a bit more, your version still made me go "ah, you could do it this way, too?" Which is a great thing, obviously.

I hope my first post didn't sound like I was rejecting Elk's effort spent critiquing. Wasn't meant to sound like that at all. = \
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 01:01:33 am by jams0988 »

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: November 05, 2011, 09:24:32 pm
@Charlieton: Yes, the main reason I posted was to provide feedback stating that I thought your style had merits, too. A lot of artists will take any critique thrown at them and completely change their piece for no reason, even if it didn't need changing. I didn't think your piece needed much change, so I figured I'd stop in to let you know, hahah.
'ppreciate it!  :)

One thing you should definitely take from Elk's is the wing. Yours right now looks more like another section of the body rather than its own form.

Yup! As I said, I was going to think about making the wings stand out more.

Better? Not much different I guess, hah!
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #27 on: November 06, 2011, 12:20:27 am
The beak could use a specular highlight. That way it brings the viewer's attention to the bird's face (by virtue of detail and range of contrast).

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: November 06, 2011, 10:10:27 am
I'm not 100% sure of what that term means, but I'm guessing you're proposing something like this?

Offline alex pang

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: November 06, 2011, 10:24:33 am
Something like this maybe?

EDIT:
or something like this:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 10:32:07 am by alex pang »