AuthorTopic: Low Spec 3D - Chibi Man (first time)  (Read 14383 times)

Offline skeddles

• I love these emoticons.
    • View Profile
    • Skeddles.com

Re: Low Spec 3D - Chibi Man (first time)

Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 10:32:07 pm
Hm, so I guess you really have to experiment and design your models around the limitations (making this a tougher endeavor than it seems...)

I wonder if there's a way to flip the middle edge as you said in Maya? I'll research it, though it wouldn't matter for this instance since I have an isosceles trapezoid, but would still be good to know.

I did some experimenting with adding more vertices to make the patterns show up better, dividing it vertically seems to be the best option for me, of course it's all situational.

I see that the inside lines will always be parallel with the outside edge, so you need to plan around that.

I'll keep working on mine, hopefully I can get something that I'm happy with  :lol:

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 11:55:48 pm
Kenneth's stuff looks good because it is mostly rectangular polys on the model mapped to rectangular polys on the uv. Where he does have a triangle or a deformed quad he either give it a solid fill (fit the whole poly into a single texel), or keeps quad close to rectangular.

You can get around this problem by matching the shape model and uv polys:

Offline skeddles

• I love these emoticons.
    • View Profile
    • Skeddles.com

Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 12:13:25 am
Kenneth's stuff looks good because it is mostly rectangular polys on the model mapped to rectangular polys on the uv. Where he does have a triangle or a deformed quad he either give it a solid fill (fit the whole poly into a single texel), or keeps quad close to rectangular.

You can get around this problem by matching the shape model and uv polys:

Hm... thanks, I see what you mean, I think it would look bad if pixels were cut off, but I can see where you would want to do that, like if it was subtle or there was nothing important on the edges, in fact if you had like a circle inside a deformed quad, it would be better to do it that way.

Anyway, here's my progress, started over, fairly happy with the body for now, not sure if I should leave the head in it's current shape or play with it a little. All I did was bevel a cube. It feels lazy, and looks a bit too uniform imo, but it seems like a lot of low poly heads are like that (most are low poly spheres, but I didn't want it to be too circular since it might not match the style). I also don't want it to be too realistic, I want a cartoony chibiish look.  ::)

EDIT:
After 800,000,000 hours, I'm finally done UV mapping.

I think that took longer than the modeling. Though I do like UV mapping, I actually know what I'm supposed to achieve, unlike modeling where I don't know what route to take. Next I shall transfer the texture, and hope it doesn't look like crap!

EDIT:

And here it is! Textured n all. I would have done a spinning animation, but I can't figure out how to get a nice render in maya.
Only a couple things need to be fixed. A couple planes on the bottom of the side of the head were skewed, but I just used a solid color to avoid it (even though they were perfect rectangles).  Now the only thing that's messed up is the butt. Maybe I can fix it.

Final Texture Map:

If you for some reason wanted to see how the map is layed out, here's a screen: http://i.imgur.com/yNoZT.png

Any crits?

I would like to do an animation, but I can't figure it out (well I can make a spinning animation, but I want to use bones and make a walk cycle), if anyone knows a good tutorial link me. I found a couple, but they were either really bad, or slightly too advanced. One series had a whole part on feet. My guy doesn't even have feet!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 05:53:09 pm by skeddles »