AuthorTopic: GR#065 - Iso RPG Enemies & Tiles  (Read 22460 times)

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile
UPDATE!

After a gazillion make-overs I think I'm getting somewhere with the tileset.

I think the colors are still interesting (although I kinda miss that bright yellow highlight you had going on for the trees). In fact, I might even go so far as to say (despite how much I liked the yellow) that the colors are too interesting. It's tough to find that sweet-spot between easy-to-miss and overly eye-catching, and I believe you shot into the latter half of that spectrum.

That may just be me, though.  :crazy:
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile
Very attractive pixels here, man. Love the management of tiny details.

Dark purple on right side of rocks really bugs me; too saturated, not blending.

Offline NickZA

• View Profile
    • Handcrafted Games
Really enjoying watching this progress, I'm learning by watching here! Your rocks and trees have really nice solid contrast, something I'm a big fan of.  :y:

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website
I agree with Mathias on the purple on the rocks. Same goes for the purple on the first mushroom enemy. It is too saturated, does not blend well and kinda pokes a hole into it.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile
UPDATE!

@ Olonthor ~ I think I know what you mean, like homam3 where every map object has high contrast and a gazillion colors creating a very "busy" look. This was also the reason for me to remove the yellow you speak of. In this update, I tried to tweak it further altering content and colors to create a colorful yet readable style.

@ Mathis & Ptoing ~Ya, I see what you mean, it's removed. When I return to spriting I'll take a look at it's usage there.

@ NickZa ~ Thanks man, I think it's progressing nicely myself :)

Offline alex pang

• View Profile
Holy crap, i just love your stone :)
One thing I might suggest is to blend the woods and stone and the rest of the terrain types better ;), but I'm gussing that your'e already working on it.

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile
That's a great improvement. The colors are still nice and readable, but keep the feel and mood of the game intact.

The stone is much better and less glaring. I'm unsure of why the grass changed (not that it doesn't look good, though).
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile
UPDATE!

I couldn't sleep so I decided to do a couple of sprites

@ Alex ~Thanks :D As for terrain, I am looking into improved blending, but I'm not gonna do "real" transition tiles. The map is going to be code generated and my limited skillset in this respect prevent from attempting any thing like that :)

@ Olonthor ~ Thanks :) The grass tiles were changed to afford tiling between variation tiles.

Offline Fickludd

• View Profile
Very inspiring stuff, thanks for sharing! Can't say I have anything to contribute to the pixeling. I think the flaming skull is a bit bland compared to the otherwise very interesting enemies, and also it doesn't fit in with the mystical forest wibe I'm getting. Perhaps drop it and knock up something awesomer (I know you can =)). Also: any particular reason why some enemies are turned to either side and some facing the front... how will they be displayed?

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile
I'm liking the sprites you have so far, very charming and stylized but still retain a sense of form.

I do have some problems though, the more major ones being:

The flaming skull's values reflect more of a metallic surface, far too shiny for a skull. Bone has more of a dull, smooth surface. Aside from that, I agree that it's a bit bland but perhaps you could consider its context, perhaps it's a minor/common enemy, maybe further in the game or in a different level. Or maybe it's not. Extending the flames or making it bigger overall may help, though.

The female orc-mage's face is rather hard to read. You're using the light blue color a bit much, which is hard to distinguish from the white used for the eyes (and, in places, shiny blue magic effects). At least for me, while it gives for a neat impression of hard lighting (took me 10 minutes to realize this), this makes it difficult to tell what I assume are her left cheek and left eye apart. She also seems a bit off-balance; but perhaps that's just me too.

The knight's helmet isn't really that accurate, but perhaps that's just for readability's sake?

Values on the serpent/sea monster could be pushed a bit further. The area where its neck area casts a shadow on its twisting tail doesn't blend well, so perhaps you could use another color to blend it in more, as well as enhance the values, so it might serve a double-purpose. On the other hand, what you have now gives off a sort of translucent effect which I'm starting to appreciate, so that's probably not necessary. But the cast shadow could use some treatment.

Your latest sprite, the burning man, seems a bit deformed and off-balance, similar to the female orc. I'd expect him to be facing you more or less head on, for... dramatic effect, I guess. This seems more like a 3/4 left view. I'll get to that later, when I have the time.

I hope I addressed some of that here.

The rest of the problems I have are mostly with pixel clusters and lack of anti-aliasing (you said you'd AA some a bit), but nothing big.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 11:09:17 am by pistachio »