AuthorTopic: [WIP] Charles Barkley shut Up And Jam: Gaiden  (Read 5289 times)

Offline Fawful

• View Profile

[WIP] Charles Barkley shut Up And Jam: Gaiden

on: May 17, 2011, 06:44:35 pm

been working on this in honour of the greatest game of all time

problem is, i dun like the composition. something seems a bit off

dear pixelation: wat do?

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Charles Barkley shut Up And Jam: Gaiden

Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 09:31:07 pm
The rendering and shading look good. The palette could use more variety. Lots of blue and brown and not much else.

Typically with these poster style images, background characters are all huge like they are looking down from heaven. They look kind of lost being the same size.

The metal guy up top should be in the dead center, not off center.

Chuck was never that skinny  :lol:

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 10:34:12 pm
I have no idea what this game is. Does that make me a bad person?

Anyway, I see you're trying to do muscles. Really that didn't turn out so well. Either go simplified or go complex. Right now you seem to be, uh, somewhere between the two, but either way don't have a good idea of what muscles look like. Don't worry, I'm that way too. It just takes some practice. For now make the areas between the pseudo-muscles less defined. Calves are fine, though.

Also, the guy in the middle looks like he's on a different perspective than everyone around him. And what's with those shorts?

Offline Fawful

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 11:26:27 pm

Bit of an update before my day ends.

Obviously I haven't touched upon a few things and I could do more to it but this is my progress so far.

You might notice the palette has undergone a few changes and the piece is generally more vibrant and vivid for it, which I think is a great improvement. Thanks for that pointer, Blumumkee.

Also Shadow Barkuri has been redone up top there. however, my eyes have been opened to that scale issue and this hasn't done anything to change it. He does look less like he's falling over though.

And there's some other stuff, which is undergoing work still(shorts).

I have no idea what this game is. Does that make me a bad person?

Yes. It makes you a very naughty man.

Offline Fawful

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 11:43:57 am
did some stuff

thinking about calling it finished

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 01:10:03 am
I apologize in advance for the rambling unorganized post:

The folds on Barkley's shirt got worse with this new update. There are too many folds and they're done in an unrealistic fashion. There would probably be one major fold because of the pulling of Barkley's right shoulder on his jersey (however slight) and a few minor ones to go along with that. I can make an edit if you want. Also you might consider having a darker red/orange so you can establish the colour identity of Cyberdwarf's skin, which can possibly also be used for Hoopz's jersey. It would also help a lot in establishing colour balance as blumunkee was talking about. Also I believe that Hoopz's jersey right now is an unintentional focal point, because of the jarring contrast between the red and the blue shadow, and that impact could maybe be minimalised by the extra red/orange color also, but probably not completely, because it's the only large red patch in the image so it'll draw the eye in unless you were to desaturate it a lot. The composition overall is a little slanted to the left because of Cyberdwarf and Shadow Barkley's lean. This was probably intentional, to do the Marvel 'slanted dramatic composition' thing, but there's strange vertical parts that are out of that perspective (Hoopz's upper body and neck, Barkley's upper body, head, neck, and arm, and Balthios's torso, shoulders, and neck, as well as the alignments of Vinceborg and Jordan). So overall the perspective seems to fall somewhere between the two and is conflicted because of that. Also, the power of the light from the basketball seems to be inconsistent (I always have problems with this too): although Cyberdwarf is wearing metal armour, the highlight all around it is unrealistic, and Hoopz is effected by the light as much as Balthios is despite being considerably farther away from it (basically I'm saying ditch the strong highlights on Hoopz's face or establish the consistency by making Balthios have stronger highlights). Anyways I really like the purple shadows on the ground, as well as the diffused mountainous background. I think a little more focus on perspective and the colours you pick could make this better pretty easily!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 01:23:36 am by Cow »

Offline Fawful

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 11:55:04 am
that was pretty helpful. thanks, cow , i'll see what i can do with it.

Offline Fawful

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 08:58:13 pm

did some stuff