AuthorTopic: [WIP]Forest Scene  (Read 9911 times)

Offline Xamllew

• View Profile

[WIP]Forest Scene

on: March 18, 2011, 05:10:47 am
I probably shouldn't have waited so long to request CnC but I began this scene two days ago and keep running into walls trying to figure my way around all the bits. I'm fairly satisfied with the boulders but that's about it. What do you guys think needs help (like the grass)?

I'd especially like pointers on trees and grass. Thanks.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP]Forest Scene

Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 05:25:21 am
I'm usually too lazy to make edits on these sorts of largish pieces, so forgive me if you end up not understanding something, because I probably won't make an edit to show you.

First off the light source seems pretty inconsistent. If the light's coming from the back, as the largest boulder portrays, why aren't the boulders casting significant shadows like the sword (or is that just a crack)? Or why does the tree trunk seem to be shaded from the front rather than the back? And why does the smaller boulder seem to be lit from the opposite direction as the larger one?

If it's coming from the front, the tree trunk's at least consistent. But everything else I listed also applies here.

The grass also seems to be wind-blown, or something along those lines. I've never seen grass growing so diagonally. I'm thinking the direction of the blades should be more varied if not stick up a good deal more.

Offline SimTheDog

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 10:49:01 am
The texture of your shaded tree looks strange. I think that it's because of the choice of texture that you chose. I'm not interested in gardening, so don't take my words for granted, but maybe changing the texture of the tree wood would help. Also, You've added bits of light source on the main part of the background, but it doesn't fit in with the rest of the background at the back because it doesn't have light source, so maybe adding some light source at the back would help, or just removing light source altogether.

Offline alspal

• alastair
    • View Profile
    • My games and things

Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 12:53:30 pm
I'm pretty sure all the grass blades shouldn't have the same exact angle across the whole area, I think you should add a little more variation?

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 04:27:11 pm
agreeing with the grass comments, you could keep it that way if the trees are also being blown by the wind but otherwise it'd probably be best to break up the diagonal patter. the tree texture looks fine to me, a recognizable variety of bark. light source on the two big rocks seems to be coming from opposite directions

Offline malkomk

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 04:38:01 pm
I like it. I can't really tell where the light is coming from, but I like the rest of it pretty good.

Offline Xamllew

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 06:07:29 pm
Thanks you guys. I will fix the confusing lighting soon but like I said, I sort of hit a wall with the grass so I kind of went with a lazy styled look instead of actually pixelling blade of grass after blade of grass. My biggest problems are giving the grass a believable texture and the tree bark.

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 08:38:32 pm
you shouldnt have to pixel every blade of grass, lucky for you. in fact if you did it would most likely look largely unrealistic and over rendered and could kill the focal point of the image. sometimes less is more when the area in question isnt even the main focal point of the scene.

i like your colors and rendering techniques on the rock a lot. the colors chosen resonate perfectly imo, the reddish hues are complementing very well with the greens in the enviro. however the rock formations themselves look rather unnatural. rock faces can be one of the hardest things to 'get right', and do require a good bit of study to get the technique down correctly. unless of course youre naturally a genius then that doesnt apply to you.

ill third (or fourth, i lost count) the comment about angling the grass blades in varying direction as the uniformity of it kills the 'flow' of the scene.

I see that its WIP but your middle layer is looking rather rudimentary and geometric. take a little effort to make it feel more organic like your foreground layer. also there is a large disparity between the tree density in your bg layer and your other two fg layers. makes it a bit inconsistent.

Offline Xamllew

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 02:28:09 am
Trying a different method for the grass although I'm worried it looks a bit more like sea oats than grass now. Changed tree texture, flipped the rock to conform with the light direction.

I guess the sword is looking okay. perhaps I should add a stronger shine in the blade.

Update: Lengthened the sword's blade by about a half a foot, changes to color of blade and smoothed it out some more. More grass. More leaves. Few more branches in the BG. Some AA on some of the leaves in the BG.

Thinking about how to texture the tree on the right, now.

Does it look like there's a tornado of leaves in the BG to anyone else? lol.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 12:50:43 am by Xamllew »

Offline Ixis

• View Profile
    • Ixis' dA site

Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 12:22:03 pm
I think the grass is looking awesome, a lot better than before ::)
The blade does kinda look green-ish, but I wonder how much brighter you could make it with the palette. I also wouldn't make it too bright, but maybe add a glint or two. Also the dithering in the back needs more shaping.