AuthorTopic: GR#047 - Citadel - 3 Point Perspective  (Read 17631 times)

Offline FRAWG

• Ribbit Ribbit
    • View Profile
Well the problem I see with your current version of this is that the bricks and all look nice, but I still see sharp edges on the tops and at corners, and for me it just makes it look too "perfect" for a structure like this.

But I do really like where this is going and I hope it gets finished.

Offline trough

• View Profile
When Roman ruins were new, they probably did have sharp, perfect-looking corners. Is this picture supposed to be of aged ruins, or how they looked when it was first built?

Maybe I'm just not understanding which edges FRAWG was talking about.

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio
Well they probably didn't have the technology to make perfectly shaped bricks.

Offline trough

• View Profile
Ancient Romans were very technologically advanced, I don't doubt that they could carve a stone into a perfect rectangular prism. You wouldn't think that from looking at their buildings now, because they are so weatherbeaten.

edit: sorry, I guess I'm derailing the thread. Looks fantastic Dwimori! I like the new brick shading.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 01:02:09 am by trough »

Offline StaticSails

• View Profile
You can always toy around with the squareness with some AA. Make a square just squarish. I'd be happy with that.

Offline Jad

• View Profile
Well that definitely is an improvement! Maybe you could dissolve the outlines even more, I dunno. Just personal preference.

If you feel happy with the rendering of the rock wall, go ahead and work on the other stuff.
' _ '

Offline Dwimori

• View Profile
Fun fact: late Romans used concrete, so thinking that they couldn't produce near perfect bricks is more far fetched than thinking they could. Also, there was a culture, I think an Andean culture, that used stone to chip stone, and had no mortar, but created perfect fitting blocks for their buildings. Each one was done on the spot, not premade. Not sure what culture it was though. Could have been the Inca for all I know, its been a long time since I brushed up on south American history.

And back on track, the wall isn't meant to look perfectly new, but not old either. When I look it seems like its got just the little bit of weather I'm aiming for, but if you guys don't think so I'd happily work it some more. As of now I haven't quite shit a roadblock, more like thick, sticky mud. I'll keep going till I get a significant enough change to post.

Offline Jad

• View Profile
I don't mind the perfectness of the bricks at all, it's just the way pixels become so .. physical. when a contrast between two surfaces is expressed as the collission between two color spaces the border between then is essentially 0 pixels, which I really like. when you put an outline anywhere suddenly the distance between two elements (in this case, bricks) is now 1 pixel. As zoomed out as this is that's like 20-30 cms of space between each brick. The effect is lessened by the low contrast of the brick color, though.

But by reducing the contrast and definition in some spots you get an unfocused effect that works well with syncronizing the brain in interpreting this the same way that it does a real brick wall viewed from afar. I think.

I just generally like breaking up outlines on big textured surfaces as to let the brain read more of the big shapes and read small details only where they matter. ' U ' ... at least that's my theory of it
' _ '

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile
I don't mind the perfectness of the bricks at all, it's just the way pixels become so .. physical. when a contrast between two surfaces is expressed as the collission between two color spaces the border between then is essentially 0 pixels, which I really like. when you put an outline anywhere suddenly the distance between two elements (in this case, bricks) is now 1 pixel. As zoomed out as this is that's like 20-30 cms of space between each brick. The effect is lessened by the low contrast of the brick color, though.

But by reducing the contrast and definition in some spots you get an unfocused effect that works well with syncronizing the brain in interpreting this the same way that it does a real brick wall viewed from afar. I think.

I just generally like breaking up outlines on big textured surfaces as to let the brain read more of the big shapes and read small details only where they matter. ' U ' ... at least that's my theory of it
I'm a still total noob but I think I was thinking something similar the other day.
I haven't had the chance to do an experiment but I was thinking that if for example a photo was taken of a black diagnol line on a white surface, and then scaled down to low resolution so the line becomes thinner than one pixel, then would the pixels of the line start to turn lighter grey instead of black because there must be both black and white in the sample?
In this case the black line would be the "outline" of the bricks (presumably some kind of shadow) which would probably not be so obvious from that distance if it was done with a camera (artistic license aside) - more likely it would blend in to be barely noticable in most spots.
Is that sort of what you mean Jad?

Offline Dwimori

• View Profile
I take back what I said before, I didn't hit thick mud, I did hit a roadblock. I keep trying to break up the brick outlines and make the pattern scale down properly but both end up looking really... false. I don't mean to inconvenience anybody, but if you've got some down time could you do an edit to show what you mean by breaking up the outlines. When I try, I make the wall look flat. :-\

And I really wanna get this one done.