AuthorTopic: Shading  (Read 10960 times)

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Re: Shading

Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 06:17:15 am

When you use a reference, you need to pay attention to the position and size of key features in relation to other features. For example, the belly button lines up with the elbow, the nipples with the bottom of the deltoid, the clavicle with the top of the shoulders etc.

Also note that the neck extends straight down and the traps make triangles from the neck and the shoulders.

When shading, don't be afraid to shade/highlight the inner part of the object. Avoid only shading/highlighting along your line art (unless the object is flat like a disc).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 06:22:06 am by Mush »

Offline what

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011, 12:09:10 am

final pushes. anatomy is better now. shading is okay.... i could use some work, but i have to have this done soon... (im also getting lazy  :lol:)

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: February 17, 2011, 12:49:05 am
where do the tops of the pecs end? where do the collarbones meet?
what shape are the ribs when they get close to the center of the chest?
what makes that hill-shaped indention above the belly button?

you're making progress, but it's so minimal that it barely shows. you can't be afraid to really alter your piece, to change major structures rather than just shifting little bits around.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: February 17, 2011, 12:57:03 am
Is there any reason why he's so skinny, and that you insist on showing his ribs?

Offline what

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: February 17, 2011, 02:00:53 am
@dusty
this guy's not really a human (i guess) i think it gives more definition to the chest

@cure
if u think i'm only making minute bits of progress, should i only post after a major edit?  ???

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Reply #25 on: February 17, 2011, 03:31:16 am
I don't mean to be rude, but I think you're being extremely lazy. The updates you post are only slightly different than the previous versions. Just like anything in life, you need to put put the work into getting better. The skills won't just come to you magically.

I want to give you some additional crits, but unless you show that you are willing to listen to others' comments, it just seems like a big waste of time.