AuthorTopic: [WIP - Revamp] The Town of Dungeonsville  (Read 3996 times)

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

[WIP - Revamp] The Town of Dungeonsville

on: November 16, 2010, 12:58:37 am
Hey, all, I'm back in action after a mild spriting depression, with a new(ish) project that my good friend and I decided to engage in.

We just started this afternoon (as I type this my partner is typing up a vague design document), and I figured I might get a headstart on some generic dungeon-y tiles to get a feel for the game. It's going to be a rogue-like, something along the lines of IVAN or the graphical Nethack tilesets, with some bits of Dwarf Fortress thrown in for kicks. Basically a mishmash of some of our favorite things, combined with some original craziness of our own.

Some of you might recognize the people sprites; they're from an old failed project that I was posting on these forums called SIN.

Please do tear these apart! I'd love to hear critique.

Get to tearing, and have fun! Enjoy the eyecandy  ::)

UPDATE:

UPDATE:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 10:41:06 pm by Olothontor »
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa

Offline HLBeta

• View Profile

Re: [WIP - Revamp] The Town of Dungeonsville

Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 02:43:45 am
It's going to be a rogue-like, something along the lines of IVAN or the graphical Nethack tilesets, with some bits of Dwarf Fortress thrown in for kicks. Basically a mishmash of some of our favorite things, combined with some original craziness of our own.

As the aforementioned friend in charge of setting design goals and conceptualizing the game, I feel obligated to clarify upon these points. The basic goal here is to make a fairly generic rogue-like with a more concrete sense of character legacy than most games in the genre have. This would be done through the Town of Dungeonsville itself, which would grow over time with the player's victories and remain consistent between character deaths. The exact complexity and nature of the town mechanics are still being debated but should at least provide scalar and consistently generating shops and possibly much more depending on coding team time and proficiency.

I'll keep adding to this post as my side of the project becomes more developed, whenever that may happen to cross my mind.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 02:49:56 am by HLBeta »

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 02:16:37 pm
Thanks for the clarification, HLBeta.

Minor update time! I made a simple dirt tile, and ported over some of the armors I was working on for SIN as well. They need a ton of work, feel free to make suggestions on improvements. Also started working on dreaded transition tiles (I'm thinking currently of having only one or two transition tiles into and out of stone so that I don't have to do a bunch of different transition squares for all five types of stonework so far).

Updates added to the OP.

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 10:40:38 pm
Second update!

Pretty minor. Worked out a new template for the characters with the help of HLBeta, and began working/porting weapons from Sin. So far they look... displeasing. Not sure what went wrong.

Adding to the OP now.

Offline Chis

• My name does not have an r
    • View Profile
    • o'er at pixeljoint

Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 12:08:19 am
The tiles are quite quaint  :) esp the patterned ones.
The shields aren't immediately identificable. Even though the resolution is small, you could add some pattern or other feature to make them more distinctive. The wooden ones in particular could use some color adjustment and a bit less highlight. They look kinda fake as is.
The other weapons are okay - is there any reason you outlined them in black? It contrasts with the softer palette you have for the tiles, and even the characters don't have black outlines.

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 01:18:50 am
Actually the black outlines were something I attempted to redress. Guess I didn't make them bright enough.

Got it, brighten "outlines." Thanks for the tile comment, I'm fairly pleased with the way they came out.

I'm outlining the weapons and characters and saturating and highlighting them so well in order to make them stick out, but I guess I went a little overboard. I still have a lot of room with which to dim them down. Should I do so, d'you think?