AuthorTopic: Ahhh yeah... me again.  (Read 3848 times)

Offline Ultimaodin

• Unknown Artistry
    • View Profile

Ahhh yeah... me again.

on: May 04, 2010, 02:17:59 pm
Yep I know you all thought I'd stopped bothering you. Nah just kidding.

Anyway so I took off for a while again to 'practice' and hopefully got a little better. Anyway googling random junk on well google this came up randomly.

http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10284

Yeah I noticed it was old but I was like what the hell, google threw it in my face so I might have a go at it.

Anyway I had bugger all ideas what to create and started thinking 'I live in Bunbury, the only interesting thing nearby is the Bunbury milk carton' So I decided to pixel that.

I used this image as my main reference http://www.brettdavis.com.au/book/bunbury.jpg as well as this: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/170/393979628_062810a89b.jpg?v=0

And I came up with this:

Anyway C&C greatly appreciated!

ps. The window/lights on the tower may start to look like one new colour, should I place two of the dark grey between each of the window lines?

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Re: Ahhh yeah... me again.

Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 03:06:16 pm
Actually, that's the current chalenge  ::)
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline Ultimaodin

• Unknown Artistry
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 03:21:13 pm
I swear it says 5th of march!? ...  ??? Oh well maybe I can Wip it there then. ^_^

Got any opinions?

EDIT: They put month first... oops.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 03:22:53 pm by Ultimaodin »

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 07:46:16 pm
The architect responsible for this should be jailed in it for life.

You don't have the correct roof angle, but I must say it's an improvement on the design.

City lights reflections are never angled as you made them: always vertical, maybe fanning out at the bottom. Check your night view ref.

The dark green (?) is of almost equal value to the dark blue, doesn't stand out and shows almost lighter (on my monitor).

The sky is too noisy. I don't know if you tried to make it as in the ref, but I think that sky has too much detail for pixels. I'd suggest to make it more calm. The saturation gradient looks wrong too: might be better more sat on the horizon, less so above. Tough palette for a dusk sky anyway.

Offline Ultimaodin

• Unknown Artistry
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 01:15:45 am
Were Australian, we essentially are jailed here for life! Ok stupid joke.

Yeah the angle disturbed me and still does when I look at it.Plus it creates a 2-1-2-1 angle which is jaggy and ugly, a 45 degree line probably would have looked more appropriate but I thought it was a bit to harsh looking for the calm mood I was aiming for which I'm pretty sure I failed with anyway. So it was a choice to go an isometric line angle.

My eye's may be tricking me on this point then, I find a ripple in the water, direction of light source and distance from object shifts it with each aspect. Though as I stated this may be a trick of my eye and I will make the angling less harsh.

Dark Green? Maybe my monitor is off because that colour looks almost black compared to the blue on mine.

Yeah I feared the sky, I wasn't happy with it at all. I will try removing the yellow and white/blue to see where that leads and try a different skyline effect. It's a tricky pallet for what I'm trying to do but I prefered the pink skyline to any other combination I messed with. Yet again I may need to adjust my monitor.

Thanks for comments, will start fixing what I can immediately. (off work sick so got nothing better to do)

EDIT: Just a quick colour test:

Better/worse? To me it's a bit harsh in brightness but it may be due to my monitor as well as my eyes being sensitive to light.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 01:44:04 am by Ultimaodin »

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 06:01:25 am
listen to what manupix said about the reflections in the water not being diagonal, the should be straight down.  I did I quick edit

but its looking better so far.

Offline Ultimaodin

• Unknown Artistry
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 11:42:41 pm
Oops should have mentioned I was still editing, just wanted to know if the new colour selection was too harsh before I continued. I still plan on straightening the reflections and editing the sky further.

Really need to make myself ore vocal and obvious sometimes.

Ps I think the brown looks better than the grey for the cloud line. Why didn't I think of using it since I got rid of it as  sky colour???

:-[

Edit:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 01:25:54 am by Ultimaodin »