AuthorTopic: [WIP] Wee RPG Hero  (Read 3440 times)

Offline Free Camera

• View Profile

[WIP] Wee RPG Hero

on: March 29, 2010, 07:30:21 am
Hey everyone.  At the moment I'm trying to straighten out the outfit/style of the main character of an RPG I'm making.  Your preference among the selection or advice in general is appreciated.

The game itself is a Medieval Rpg, but it's a parody of the genre, so styles can be modern or themed or whatever.  The character himself is a 'knight' in that he uses sword-fighting based combat (though I'm trying to brainstorm a way in which his fighting style is unique, if not a bit stupid).  A design that doesn't scream 'bland knight' would be appropriate.

Thanks!

Offline MegaLeon

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Wee RPG Hero

Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 07:37:37 am
A nice little character.
I presonally like the #2, but whatever choiche will be made, you definitely need to ramp up the contrast.
Another problem is the scarf, being the same color of the hair, at 1x it looks like his beard. Or, at least, that's the impression that i get  :D

Offline Free Camera

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 03:09:22 am
Update:  I've decided which clothing set I prefer.  I also tried rendering the sprite differently, as seen below.  Also included: a bush.

Anyone prefer one style over another?  I stress this is a humorous project, I don't want to get so caught up in details that the characters lose their charm.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 03:22:00 am by Free Camera »

Offline Chis

• My name does not have an r
    • View Profile
    • o'er at pixeljoint

Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 03:48:06 am
The second one is easier on the eyes and more suited to the style you're going for, although the bush looks like his hair a little ;D
The scarf still doesn't read well.

Offline Free Camera

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 10:11:36 pm
Pushing a little further in the opposite direction...

I eliminated the scarf/shoulder cape in favor of some armour.  Changed the jacket to orange.  Also, obviously, an outline: I'm thinking it better communicates the volume detail from the first example.