AuthorTopic: New Guy  (Read 5973 times)

Offline Lucas

• View Profile

New Guy

on: February 23, 2008, 08:29:42 am
Hey
I started fooling around with pixel art about 6 months ago.  I first got interested from playing this 2D pixel MORPG called Graal. Eventually I realized the game was a piece of shit, and decided to  try and make my own Graal style game or at least take part in making one.
Im hoping to get a lot better with pixel art in a short period of time.  So I thought I'd post some of my stuff here and get some advice.

Please all suggestions are welcome.

Brick Wall Apartment Tiles:
http://img527.imageshack.us/my.php?image=apartmenttileshd4.png

Apartment Made From Those Tiles:(kind of blurry for some reason)
http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?image=apartmentdg8.png

Pickup Truck:
http://img210.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pickuptruckrk0.gif

Ruger Mini: ( one of my first graphics)
http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rugerminizy2.gif

Also if anyone is interested in making a modern style 2d morpg, let me know = )

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Re: New Guy

Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 06:59:08 pm
i didnt even bother looking at those links

use [img] tags next time please...
and using the php version of imageshack is even worse x.x!
choose the link at the bottom
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline Lucas

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 09:11:45 pm
Wow 148 views and one response. 

I didnt want to just post the images because a few of them are pretty big...Is it that hard to click a damn link ?

Havn't I seen you around the Graal official forums Elk ?

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 09:49:27 pm
never heard of Graal  :huh: well you on your way to outshining their graphics, doesn't look very impressive for a mmorpg.

Views don't mean anything, wouldn't you rather someone say something relevent than post simply for the sake of posting. I honestly don't have much to comment on I think you know what you want to achieve so hopefully it'll be a learning curve for you. Is there something in particular you wanted help with? Ive not seen any work of yours before so I can only guess your capabilities.

good stuff though, would help people if you tagged the smaller images or something you wanted help with in particular.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 09:53:26 pm
Clicking on links to see images is annoying.

Also having a big white canvas with a lonely truck is pretty silly for posting purposes. Cut that slack space off for posting it.
Same goes for big wall tiles where you have the same stuff lots of times. It does not have to be that big to show how the tiles tile.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Lucas

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 10:01:31 pm
Clicking on links to see images is annoying.

Also having a big white canvas with a lonely truck is pretty silly for posting purposes. Cut that slack space off for posting it.
Same goes for big wall tiles where you have the same stuff lots of times. It does not have to be that big to show how the tiles tile.

It was like 5 in the morning when I posted them last night, I was a bit tired/lazy... I'll remember for the future.

And also just any suggestions, you can think of would be helpful.  I pretty much self taught myself the very little I know... So I just thought I could learn something from you guys, since I have never really had any real criticism or comments about my stuff.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 10:25:36 pm
God, Graal is still around? I was addicted to that when I was like 11. :-[
The brick tiles don't read very well at the moment; what's that grid of x's supposed to be? a floor? and the offset tiles appears to be... a wall inside? Inside walls should be darker then outside ones if you want to show depth, plus brick walls in interiors aren't very common are they? I think it'd be better to have them have wallpaper or something covering them.
You're majorly banding the area at the base of the windshield on the truck. You need to get rid of most those successively lighter shades, and make it so the edges of the remaining ones don't match up. (It's like legos! When the anti-aliasing lines are lined up the whole thing falls apart..)
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Lucas

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 10:42:12 pm
God, Graal is still around? I was addicted to that when I was like 11. :-[
The brick tiles don't read very well at the moment; what's that grid of x's supposed to be? a floor? and the offset tiles appears to be... a wall inside? Inside walls should be darker then outside ones if you want to show depth, plus brick walls in interiors aren't very common are they? I think it'd be better to have them have wallpaper or something covering them.
You're majorly banding the area at the base of the windshield on the truck. You need to get rid of most those successively lighter shades, and make it so the edges of the remaining ones don't match up. (It's like legos! When the anti-aliasing lines are lined up the whole thing falls apart..)

Thanks for the helpful criticism. 

Yes the grid of X's is supposed to be an outdoor patio tile, I made it in 2 seconds just to try and show that those areas are supposed to be floor.  Those tiles are more about the brick.

the offset wall you are referring to, Is supposed to be a little balcony kind of thing... I know the back/inside wall should be darker... I tryed to dither it with a darker colour to give it a darker kind of feel, but guess it didn't work.  It isn't really an inside wall though, it's just the wall behind the balcony.

I also see what you mean abou the truck, I'll fix it.

Thanks again for the help !!!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 11:08:54 pm by Lucas »

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 09:40:29 am

I didnt want to just post the images because a few of them are pretty big...Is it that hard to click a damn link ?

Yes, I'm that Elk
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline Lucas

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 11:28:01 am

Yes, I'm that Elk

Nice to meet you, I've seen you around on the forums.  Unfortunately I cant post on them because I don't have a gold account : (.  I play era my names Luke. 
 Nice avatar btw.