AuthorTopic: [NEW REF] Self Portrait  (Read 15939 times)

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Re: [REF] Self Portrait

Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 01:17:15 pm
Just a quick edit...

From a psychological perspective now...why chose a background like that? (Green and stuff)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 01:19:43 pm by Elk »
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline Chrispy

• View Profile
    • Chrispy's dA

Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 10:30:18 pm
That seems more like a caricature than a portrait. Mainly because of the exaggerated jaw. I think it would help if you made a list of changes I should make to it, just so I know what you want me to fix.
Also the green background was just an idea that came to mind that I thought would look cool.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 11:21:15 pm
I don't really think so - if you view it next to your a bit idealized portrait of yourself it might seem like a caricature, but it's actually pretty close to the original. Mind you, it also looks pretty so don't go thinking I'm saying you don't look good, haha : D
' _ '

Offline Elk

• elkdarkshire
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: February 24, 2010, 03:46:08 pm
I had to do something because what you are doing, is drawing yourself in a physical way which you are not, and as Jad said, idealizing.

If you posted a more recent picture, we could help you a little more, but I think I'm not far off with my edit since the face doesn't change much over some years (atleast you lost a ton of weigth)

Your eyes arn't even green so I don't know what's going on...
In the all above edits, your hair can't even be like this, because you have a barely visible receding hairline...

IF you were intending to made an ideal portrait, a reflection of your life, then you would not pick merely stuff that "looks" cool, hence my question "why did you pick green"

And for your counteradvice saying that it would help more if I made a list...I think no list can tell as much as an edit, by all means.
And as side note, I am not defending my edit nor intending to be insultive
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 04:04:44 pm by Elk »
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline Chrispy

• View Profile
    • Chrispy's dA

Reply #24 on: February 24, 2010, 05:26:09 pm
My eyes are indeed green, though not as green as shown in the pixel art. It might just be the lighting or something that made that picture not show it. That picture was taken in the beginning of '09. I have let my hair grow out more and have lost the tan I had as well as lost some of my baby fat. I'll try to see if I can get a more up to date picture sometime soon, but as of now I don't have a camera or camera phone.

Offline Elk

• elkdarkshire
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: February 24, 2010, 06:18:41 pm
Ah, thought the pic was taken "a couple of years ago" ;)....

Notice how you have alot more tan in your version than in mine :)?
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline Chrispy

• View Profile
    • Chrispy's dA

Reply #26 on: February 24, 2010, 11:08:26 pm
I was referring to a different pic, I should've cleared that up.
Also I did notice, I should mess with my palette some more. I'd have some more edits up on here if I wasn't so busy.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: February 25, 2010, 02:09:47 pm
Your face is beautifully volumetric in the photo. It seems like you want to flatten and round things out in your art. Elk's edit really does capture you better! Even though it makes your face squished vertically and tipped to the side, it's the eyes, you have a strong flat border at the top of your eyes which I think is your determining characteristic.

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #28 on: February 25, 2010, 06:52:01 pm
I agree too that Elk's edit is highly interesting.

Of course I can't judge how your face has changed since, but it also has better light and volume which should apply regardless of any change (they were there too in Helm's edit).

I'm aware these are really difficult to achieve anyway, but worth trying!

Offline Chrispy

• View Profile
    • Chrispy's dA

Reply #29 on: February 26, 2010, 09:39:48 pm
After looking in the mirror several times and having family and friends making comparisons, we decided that my school photo is a bad picture of me and I need to get a camera so I can give you guys a new one. There are errors in mine that I do need to change, mainly in the hair and eyes. I will try to get you guys a better picture sometime today maybe and will make edits when I have the time. I'll use Elks edit to fix the eyes and much of the shading, though.