AuthorTopic: [WIP] Woman at the Beach  (Read 2730 times)

Offline inarma

• View Profile

[WIP] Woman at the Beach

on: January 31, 2010, 07:16:54 pm

[NOTE: I kinda took some of the palletes from other peoples work, I suppose I can put their names here, but I probably won't be submitting this to pixeljoint or anything I would kinda feel ashamed I didn't make the palletes myself. ]

So anyway for this WIP, I don't know how to make a head! Like the hair, the eyes, the nose, and mouth, it's really strange because I have only really attempted making a head like 2-3 times and it was ages ago. So any help on how I should tackle the head would be great. I also think some of my shading and other things could use some work. Just overall critique me on this, please.

Thanks,
Inarma

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Woman at the Beach

Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 07:26:32 pm
Find a reference. It's easy with the internet. Grab a pencil and sketch out what you'd like. Once you've got a pretty good idea, you can translate it to pixels.

As for a critique, the most gnawing issue is that the thighs are different sizes, with the right one being larger than the left.

Her pose looks stiff and uncomfortable. Will she be holding something in her outstretched hand?

Feet are tricky in pixels, especially on women. Drawing out individual toes usually gives them monster feet. Try something more subtle, like a single line hinting where the big toe and the other four smaller toes separate.

Offline inarma

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 07:33:27 pm
Lol, yea your right about the feet, I kinda did think they were a little un-feminine. As for her outstretched hand I think she will be carrying something in it I kinda forgot what I had planned, I think I might edit it so that both her hands are behind her, so it looks like she is leaning back, the more I look at it the more I kinda notice it does look like she's uncomfortable in her position. I will also try to fix the thigh issue, I didn't even notice it to be honest -.-

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 07:47:25 pm
I'm not exactly sure how we're supposed to see her in space.  WHether or where she's sitting, etc.  That and blumunkee's internet idea eminded me a bit of http://www.theonion.com/content/node/35095
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline inarma

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 07:47:33 pm
 How does this look?

It's kinda quick and rushed, but I think I fixed it decently, it could prolly use for a bit of a touch up on the right thigh, but the feet and arms look better :D.

@ND:

Yea lol, it does look a lot like the one in the center. Yea I kinda just started off trying to draw a random girl, and it just so happened that I'm pretty bad at drawing odd positions so I tried a new one, there's supposed to be a beach towel under her, I kinda just started with the girl, and made the beach around her last second, that's probably why it doesn't look like she fits....How can I fix that? I mean I tried using the shadow to make her look more like she was really "in" the beach.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 07:51:24 pm by inarma »