AuthorTopic: Dinko, the kobold  (Read 5793 times)

Offline Shook

• Gentlemen.
    • View Profile

Dinko, the kobold

on: January 24, 2010, 07:31:31 pm
Yeah, hello again. After being absent for a while, which you likely didn't notice, i've made something that could use some critique.

I've dared to call him finished, but i would like to see if/what i could improve on him. His overall appearance is inspired by the kobolds in Dungeons & Dragons, though i've taken no references outside my head. The thingmabob on the right doesn't really need any attention, as it's just there for Dinko to poke at. He's an awfully curious fellow. :U

C&C would be much appreciated. ;D

Edit: Newest version:

Will update this post continuously. C&C still appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 03:42:41 pm by Shook »
I'm not a painting.

Offline Rollerkingdom

• View Profile

Re: Dinko, the kobold

Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 07:38:53 pm
ONe thing that im not much fan is the whole dithering texture on his body and clothing :o
I would try some other shading method.

Offline Shook

• Gentlemen.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 08:30:33 pm
Understandably so, but due to the lack of intermediate colors in my palette (need to free myself from that blasted thing), i don't have many options. That being said, i guess i could just use more colors with bigger contrast. Three colors for the vast majority of the green shading ain't an awful lot. :huh:
I kinda like the dithering though, because it gives him a somewhat scaled look that most reptiles need to have. I could make visible scales, but they'd be oversized when compared to the rest of the body. I think.
I'm not a painting.

Offline Rollerkingdom

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 08:36:51 pm
THe dithering on his body is good like you said it gives the scale txture but for the vest it kinda blends with the skin..

Offline Shook

• Gentlemen.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 01:33:25 pm
Ah, ok. I thought it sorta gave it a rough leathery look, but it does look better without dithering, and with more colors. Here's the new version.

That any good? I've also been thinking about making more contrast between the green colors... I'll try it out.

Edit: Alright, done trying.

Too much contrast? ???

Edit2: Actually, fixed up the shading on the head a bit.

Not too happy with the light on the head, i'll try to fix it before long.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 02:43:36 pm by Shook »
I'm not a painting.

Offline TomF

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 03:43:12 pm
though i've taken no references outside my head.

Definitely get some references for this. If there's one thing you're going to need references for, it's anatomy. At the moment his arms and legs feel very tube like. He also lacks a crotch! I am not a fan of the dithering at all, it's unneeded noise.

The colours also feel a bit too murky, try using some blues for the shadow on his skin, and possibly some purple for the jacket shadows, not too saturated though! The upped contrast is a good move imo.  :)

Offline Shook

• Gentlemen.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 04:34:03 pm
Yum, criticism. Right, fixed up the colors (I think. Did i?) and gave him a bit of a crotch for starters. Had to fiddle with the palette, but hey, those colors were unused anyways. ::)

I'll probably remove the dithering next, as well as try to fix the anatomy. Truth be told, i'm surprised at how good the new colors look. Going from brown to purple wasn't exactly my first thoughts when shading the vest, though this is worth keeping in mind. ;D

Edit: Allright, removed dithering and added a bit of meat to the limbs.

Dunno if you think it's any better, but i like how it turned out. Not entirely happy with the arms though, elbows in particular. I'll keep experimenting with them and see if anything good comes out.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 07:08:39 pm by Shook »
I'm not a painting.

Offline Rollerkingdom

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 10:58:06 pm
Deff improved since the first one..
take advantage of the blue background and AA his arms, it will prob make the elbows look better!

Offline 7321551

• a.k.a. Jarrad
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 10:25:39 am
Hi. The internal shading of the straight limbs appears to be that of a single cylinder. A combination of several shapes would be more fitting - for instance, the shoulder might be a sphere, the upper arm a sort-of elliptic cylinder, same with the forearm except it tapers, etc.
I did a quick edit:

Also, the feet are giving the impression of an Egyptian Hieroglyph. They would appear less flat if they were facing outward like a 'V', & angled from above slightly.

Offline Shook

• Gentlemen.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 03:22:13 pm
Alright, thanks for the tips. Gave it another shot.

Reshaded arms and legs (mainly the ones that are clearly lit), rotated the hind foot, and changed the front foot a bit. I also used a tiny bit of AA to smooth out a few areas, as suggested by Rollerkingdom. :)
I'm not a painting.